Author Topic: Arthur McKenna Manchester Regiment MGC  (Read 4457 times)

Linda Richardson

Arthur McKenna Manchester Regiment MGC
« on: October 18, 2009, 02:21:03 PM »
Hello

I am looking to find my Grandad's WW1 service records.  I have searched on Ancestry and the National Archives including the "burnt" records but found nothing.  I have his medal record which shows his Regt Nos as 1986 and 61887.  Any suggestions where I can look for his service records please.

Offline tonyrod

Re: Arthur McKenna Manchester Regiment MGC
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:17:31 AM »
hi linda, and welcome to the forum  ;D try this link, http://veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html
all you need to know . tonyrod
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 08:49:02 AM by Wendi »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »
Hi Linda and Welcome  ;D

If he was demobbed after WW1 and you can't find his service record at TNA it is unlightly that it still exists.

The link Tonyrod has given you will only assist you if he served after 1920, as records for these soldiers are not in the public domain.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
CHEERS WENDI, i was not aware of that myself.  :-[

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:03:02 PM »
No probs Tony  ;D
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Linda Richardson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Hello

Thank you for replying.  It seems that I will be unable to find out anything then - is that the case? 

Or should I make a paper application to the National Archives and pay the £30 fee?

Linda

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:01:14 PM »
hi linda, no to your question and  i would get in touch with this site first you never know, as for arthur's time in the manchester regiment  somebody could possible help with some info but i myself cannot help you more,
The official documents of the history of the Machine Gun Corps have been ill-fated.  Most were lost, destroyed in fires or during the Blitz.  Most of the few histories of individual Companies and Battalions which survive are held at the Imperial War Museum.   Many personal diaries and papers have also been donated to the IWM.  However, much of course is still known.

Most of the Company and Battalion War Diaries survive at the Public Record Office, Kew.  Some MGC/OCA members are currently trying to write a history of the Corps. Information and help would be welcome.

RESEARCH  ASSISTANCE  http://www.machineguncorps.co.uk/       good luck. tonyrod