Author Topic: Found My Grandad - Many Thanks.  (Read 4140 times)

JamesH

Found My Grandad - Many Thanks.
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:18:53 PM »
May I say how delighted (and staggered) I am to have found my Grandad in the Delhi Durbar March Past?

It started with research into my great-uncle (61168 Arthur Williams, 17 Bn., captured at St. Quentin, 22.3.1918). He was my Grandad's brother-in-law and I knew him very well. He was a lovely, lovely bloke.

While researching him I stumbled across Issy Smith V.C., which started me off in another direction, and I managed to clear up the misunderstanding about his Russian medal, which, it turns out, wasn't awarded for anything he did in Mesopotamia. (A great deal about Issy, though, remains a mystery).

When I saw that Issy had received the Durbar Medal, it jogged my memory. I recalled my father mentioning that his father had also had one. Thanks to this site, I found the name of Richard Reeve, 1st Manchesters, on the list. I couldn't believe my eyes.

He was a very fierce-looking bloke, and I was always rather frightened of him, which was a pity. He died when I was about ten, so I never got chance to talk to him about much; it was great-uncle Arthur's reminiscences that started my interest in the War.

I knew that Grandad had been in The Great War, but no other details at all. I had no idea that he'd been in India and was, presumably, a regular. He's listed in the 1901 Census as being 14 and living in Salford, and his occupation was "Cloth Sample Boy", whatever that was.

I'm so grateful for the info. If anyone can add anything I'd be delighted.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Found My Grandad - Many Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »
Hello James

and welcome to the group

i am very pleased you've been able to get something out of our little site ;D  have you seen the section on the 17th battalion?, we have just updated it and it's rather good!

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:32:36 PM »
Hi James as a Warm Welcome to our Forum !

I'm delighted that you've found such useful information on the site.  I have a couple of bits to add, if you don't have them already.

In 1891 They are living in Pendleton

Alfred H Reeve  48 Widow Paint Brushmaker b. Bethnal Green London
Frances A Reeve    8 b. Salford
Leah C Reeve    6 b. Salford
Richard Reeve    3 b. Hulme
Lydia King 35 Servant Housekeeper

I found a birth certificate Alfred Hasley Reeve registered in Bethnal Green in the March Quarter of 1843 Volume 2 Page 57.  Applying for a copy should give you his parents names.

Also one for Frances Alice, whose birth was registered in Salford in the Quarter to September of 1884 Volume 8d Page 162.

Wendi  :)

PS Your grandfather is actually recorded as being 13 on the 1901 Census  ;)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

JamesH

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
Thank you, both.

Blimey, you know more about the family than I do. Some of those names ring a very distant bell. I'm sure I remember people mentioning them. If I recall correctly, great-grandfather's middle name was Haseby. (These are all childhood memories, but I'm pretty sure about that)

I'd love to find out more about Richard's movements. Presumably he went wherever the 1st Manchesters did.

Re: the 17th. If it's any help, I've got a book called The First (City) Brigade, The Manchester Regiment. A Record: 1914-1918. (Published 1923) It contains the records of the 16th, 17th, 18th, & 19th Bns throughout the War, with full KIA lists.

BTW - Bethnal Green? Don't tell me I'm a Cockney! I'll never live it down.  :-[

Thanks once again.

J

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:42:19 PM »
Hi J

BTW - Bethnal Green? Don't tell me I'm a Cockney! I'll never live it down.  :-[
  Don't tell me you live "norf"  ;D  It's highly lightly that the middle name of the record I found is Haseby, the old pen & ink script is not easy to read, but I'm sure the reference I found is his, and can be yours for £7  :D

We are boringly proud of our 17th site http://www.themanchesters.org/17th%20batt.htm let us know if you find anything you think should be added !

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

JamesH

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
Went to a family funeral today and some of my uncles were there. We were talking about Richard Reeve, their father, and it turns out that one of my uncles has still got his Pay Book and some other papers from the Great War. He's going to let me see it. Something useful might crop up.

Thanks again to evryone at the site.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »
excellent, try and copy them!  ;)
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."