Author Topic: My grandad  (Read 3421 times)

roberts grandaughter

My grandad
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Hi
Does anyone have any info re Robert John Lewis number 2586 Drill Sergeant at Ashton signed up for 1 year service 1914 he had previously been inthe RWF number 3341

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: My grandad
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 04:58:22 PM »
Hi roberts grandaughter and a Warm Welcome to our Forum  ;D

I don't think he went abroad, as I can not see a medal index card for him.  Have you got his service record for his time with the RWF?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

roberts grandaughter

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »
Hi Wendi
Thanks for the reply ,yes I have most of his RWF record but can not find his pre 18 yrs old when he purchased himself out . I would like to find what he did at Ashton !hence the enquiry ,the family story is that he was a drill sargent at the barracks or the ta depot,(he lived in Ashton then)  so far i am coming up with nothing despite visiting the museum and the archives ,don't know where else to look
Regards Chris
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:57:04 PM by roberts grandaughter »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 01:26:19 AM »
hiya chris.
your grandfather,was in the RWF since he was eighteen
privated 2897 robert,john lewis
1st volunteer battalion,RWF
enlisted 30-9-1890
aged 18
discharged on 22-2-1903,after serving his time
re-enlisted 16-10-1905
now private 3341
3rd battalion,RWF
aged 33.
worked as a stoker,at clay hall colliery,for mr young
resided clay hall cottages,also living here,was his wife louisa,brother william and parents,richard+elizabeth
fought in the boer war,with sitwells mounted infantry,in a detatchment from the RWF
promoted serjeant on 14-12-1905
discharged after serving his second period of engagement,on 15-9-1909
moved to ashton,in 1910
lived at 137 wellington st,ashton
his eldest child,maggie,was born on malta,the second eldest,robert,john,was born at devonport and the youngest,herbert stanley,at clay hall
married his wife on 17-12-1894 at wrexham

mack

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »
Hi Chris,

Sadly TA information is thin on the ground.  I'm no expert so I'll move your post and perhaps some of the chaps & perhaps Robert can add some info.

As I understand it, each TA depot kept their own records and these are now miss-laid, I say "miss-laid" as we live in hope of one day they being found  ;D

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha