Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1852 times)

Scottie3

Hello
« on: April 27, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »
Hello and pleased to join the forum - thank you. My dad was a Vickers machine gunner in the 7th Battalion and was shot during the raid on Walcheren Island and was taken to what I think was a Canadian War hospital somewhere nearby by Buffalo I think. He also spent time in Iceland where I recall him saying it was so cold they put whale blubber on their legs to stay warm. He also trained in mountain warfare in Scotland and was billeted not far from his home in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire. I would love to find out if anyone else has a similar history with the 7th. Thank you.

Offline Timberman

• Administrator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
Hello Scottie3
Welcome to the forum.
I can't help with your question, I'll move this over to the 1939-45 section
where someone else may be able to help.

I had not heard of this before you posted but for anyone interested go on You Tube
and put Walcheren in the search and several video's come up.

Timberman

Scottie3

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »
Thank you - I’ll look on YouTube and keep checking back.

:)

Offline mickyricky

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »
Hi Scottie,

Not sure if you'll see this as your post was a while ago.

My dad was also in 7th Battalion at Walcheren.

I got a copy of the war diaries some time ago, but there was a gap in them covering that operation and I'm interested if anyone has more information.

Regards
Micky

Scottie3

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:27 PM »
Hi Micky - got your message but unfortunately I haven’t yet got my dad’s service records having applied last September - there is a hold up due to COVID now apparently. I have read a few articles and a book called Fire and Flood I believe was good also some of the articles that come up when you put in Walcheren on the internet. My dad was a number one Vickers machine gunner and was one of two Scotsman on a buffalo vehicle when shot by a sniper through the jaw - the other Scotsman was killed. He always talked highly of the Royal Scots and the Canadians. If I get anything back I will let you know. I have two pics if dad and his fellow soldiers I could upload if I am allowed to. Regards Linda