Author Topic: Could you help me find info on my grandad please?  (Read 3121 times)

Silvermagpie

Could you help me find info on my grandad please?
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:31:26 PM »
Hi, my grandad passed away when my dad was 15 yrs old so we don't have much to go on and any help would be great.

My grandads name was Neil Brown and he started the war in The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He was born on a wee island called Luing in Argyll but moved to Glasgow. He was a good marksman and was on the boat out to Singapore with the Argylls when he was transferred to the Manchester Regiment and sent to India. My dad remembers my grandad telling his brother about the Battle at Kohima. My grandad stayed in India until 1947 when he came down with malaria and got sent home. My dad was born in 1948 my grandad's health never really recovered from the malaria and he passed away in 1963 at his work with a heart attack.

Any help or advice would be fantastic, thank you in advance.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: Could you help me find info on my grandad please?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:36:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Your best course of action is to apply to the MoD for his service record. The minimum information you will have to provide regarding your Grandfather is his full name and date of birth. You will need to fill in the „NoK form“ and „British Army Part 2“ which can be found here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-records-of-deceased-service-personnel

Charlie