Author Topic: ADAM TODD, late Sergeant in the 63 Reg. of Foot.  (Read 7949 times)

DavidMorgan

ADAM TODD, late Sergeant in the 63 Reg. of Foot.
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:07:57 AM »
My ancestor Adam TODD of Wallace’s Green, Berwick upon Tweed, was buried at Berwick Holy Trinity 12.4.1825.
His grave stone reads:
IN MEMORY OF
ADAM TODD. late Sergeant
in the 63 Reg. of Foot. who died
April 10 1825. Aged 77 Years

His death announcement in the Berwick Advertiser reads:
16 Apr 1825 in this town Sunday last, Mr Adam Todd, out-pensioner, aged 77.

An old family Bible gives his birth date as 4 Sep 1747, but I have no place of birth, and am hoping that his military record may supply this.

He appears to have owned the property in Wallace's Green, across the square from the Berwick barracks, from at least 1784.  His probable period of service is then about 1765 to 1785, though he may appear in pensioner records later than that.

I have searched the military records in FindMyPast without success.  Similarly the name index at the National Archives.  The archivist in Berwick suggested that the regimental museum may hold the records, rather than the National Archives.  Do any records exist from this period, and where they are?

Thanks,

David Morgan

sphinx

Re: ADAM TODD, late Sergeant in the 63 Reg. of Foot.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 08:04:45 AM »
David,

The archives of the Regiment do not hold service papers on individual soldiers.

The only thing available to you from the National Archives are the Muster Rolls and Pay Lists which will give you a potted history of where he served, rank and possibly any hospitalisation periods.

regards

DavidMorgan

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
I have found the following, but it looks like it is too late.
WO 97 Royal Hospital Chelsea: Soldiers Service Documents
1855-1872: discharge papers arranged by regiment and range of surname. (WO 97/1272-1721)
Infantry
WO 97/1582 63rd Regiment of Foot; later 63rd (West Suffolk) Regiment of Foot: Kad-Woo

Are there other catalog numbers for the earlier years?

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
David,
I think a visit to the National Archives at Kew will be necessary but I'm not sure you'll find much.
The 63rd Muster Rolls in the archives appear to start in 1771.
You may well find a reference in the Chelsea and Kilmainham pensioner registers (WO120 would be a good place to start as these are listed by regiment)- these go back to the beginning of the 18th Century.
You may be better employing a professional researcher if you are short of time.
Good luck.
Bob B