Author Topic: Leslie Walker - Volunteer 1798-99  (Read 4332 times)

KeithA

Leslie Walker - Volunteer 1798-99
« on: June 16, 2020, 01:23:17 PM »
This individual joined as a volunteer in Jamaica in February 1798, does anyone know his age at the time? He was I believe living on his mother's plantation "Success" at the time. The following year, now in England, he was appointed an Ensign but transferred a day later to the 4th Foot but it was as an officer of the 71st Light Infantry in Portugal, Spain and France that would win him distinction.

In addition did the 63rd see any action in Honduras in that year 1798-99?

regards

Keith

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
Re: Leslie Walker - Volunteer 1798-99
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:55:07 PM »
Keith,
Three companies of the 63rd (about 180 men), under Lt Col Brereton, were sent from the regiment's HQ at Spanish Town, Jamaica to Honduras in early 1798 to protect the colony from a Spanish threat.
The whole regiment returned to England in early 1799.
Hope this helps.
Bob B

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 05:07:24 PM »
PS with regard to any action - yes, volunteers from colonial troops (no doubt including some from the 63rd) and some Mosquito Indians were engaged on a flotilla of small boats blocking the channel between Hick's Keys (now Hicks Cayes?) and the mainland on 4 September 1798 and fought an action against 17 Spanish ships .
The Spanish suffered casualties in a two and a half hour action but the British suffered no casualties.
Bob B

KeithA

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
Many thanks Bob. Walker is intriguing. I doubt there's a muster roll that would mention him but he seems to have got the bug to serve as asoldier.

best regards

Keith

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 09:44:40 AM »
Keith,
The earliest Muster Rolls of the 63rd at The National Archives, Kew begin with WO 12/7241 covering the years 1771-1777.
1798-99 is covered by WO 12/7244 - if he was there with the 63rd your man should show up on the roll.
These are not available online unfortunately - Kew would be well worth a visit.
Bob B

KeithA

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 12:59:38 PM »
Cheers Bob :)

MARK WALKER

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 03:24:59 PM »
Cheers Bob :)
To Keith and Bob. My name is Mark Walker and I am the Great great great Grandson of Leslie Walker. I found this out 2 years ago when I acquired a portrait of him from my brother, it shows Leslie Walker in civvies wearing his waterloo medal.  I had grown up with this picture and knew he was a direct relation. I didn't know whether he was a Private or a General. When I removed the back of the picture I saw it was Lt Col. Leslie Walker, 71st Highland Light Infantry- and then my search started. I have gathered a lot of information, that I am happy to share, but everything I have gathered poses more questions. Reading what you have posted shows to me that I have information you don't and you have information I don't have. I have traced his medal to Aukland Museum, New Zealand.  Unfortunately the Museum did not keep a record of who gave the medal to them, but I remember being told a part of my family emigrated there at the turn of the century. It appears that Captain Leslie Walker played a significant role in the battle of Vitoria when he was promoted to Brevet Major and then at Waterloo when he was promoted to Lt. Colonel. I hope you read this and find it interesting, and I would like to hear from you. Mark C. Walker
P.S. I am not a professional Historian
P.P.S. He was injured numerous times and involved in the unsuccessful capture of Buenos Aires. 

MARK WALKER

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 03:39:06 PM »
Re Leslie Walker 1798 - 1799
Born around 1777. A Letter  WO 31/87 shows that he had been prevented from applying for a commission in the Army due to being held in France as a prisoner ((he would have been held as a foreign national) he was not released until 1797. He then went to the West Indies where he served as a volunteer (unpaid) Ensign with his commission being again delayed due to lack of information on the death of the officer he was to replace.

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »
Thanks Mark,
All very interesting.
Bob B

Offline KeithA

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 11:32:06 AM »
With sincerest apologies Mark, I have not been on this forum for quite some time.

Your details about Leslie Walker are fascinating. Perhaps you know that according to one source he was born in 1778 and was the natural son of Laughlin Macleane, a shameless adventurer who died in 1778. Walker's mother also appears to have another illegitimate child by a second man, George Musgrave, a lawyer and MP.

I wonder do you know the surname of Leslie Walkers's wife, Harriet and the names of his two children with her.

best regards

Keith

Offline KeithA

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 11:35:17 AM »
Also he was not at Buenos Aires as far as I know. At the time he was a HLI recruiting officer in Scotland.

K

Offline KeithA

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
Other details. He probably was with the 71st in the Army of Occupation in France until 1818. He served with the 54th Foot in Cape of Good Hope and then in India, probably seeing action in the Burma War of 1825 (He is listed as a Major in the Arracan in January 1825) and sadly after leaving the army around 1832 was reduced to the debtors court, spending time in France avoiding his creditors.

If you want to exchange info then let me have your e-mail address and I will send you what I have, and you can let me have what you know. I would be very keen to see an image of Leslie Walker.

K