Author Topic: Sergeant Major Michael Hignett, 2nd Battalion  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Mark Hone

Sergeant Major Michael Hignett, 2nd Battalion
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
A pupil of mine, a regular on my battlefield tours, is researching his ancestor Michael John Hignett, born in Tipping Street Ardwick on 2/1/1886. He believes that he was a Sergeant-Major in 2nd Manchesters, was wounded and captured by the Germans and spent 18 months in a POW camp (by my reckoning that sounds like he was captured during the advance to the Hindenburg Line and seizure of Manchester Hill). He apparently lost a foot to his wounds. Does anyone have any further details of this soldier? I'm trying to find out if my pupil's family has a photo of him.
Thanks,
Mark Hone
Head of History
Bury Grammar School

Offline Mark Hone

Re: Sergeant Major Michael Hignett, 2nd Battalion
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:29:05 AM »
I have subsequently discovered him on the excellent POW spreadsheet-he was 41445 CSM Michael Hignett captured on 21/11/16. He is one of the POWS whose debrief interview is held at the National Archives.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
Hi Mark !

I'm glad you found him on The PoW spreadsheet.  It makes it all worth while  ;)

I don't know what access you have via the school, but his MIC has been scanned and is on www.ancestry.co.uk  I can't post it here as it infringes membership condition, however I will email you. 

I would prefer one of the chaps to decypher it for you as they will be 1,000 times better at it than I, but I can tell you that he enlisted on 12th July 1915 and was Discharged on 14th June 1918.

Wendi  :)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
From his BWM & VM roll & SWB roll ( from L to R )

Regt No
Rank
Name
Unit discharged from
No of Badge
Dates of;
Enlistment
Discharge
Cause of discharge
Overseas

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:00:11 PM »
Thank you very much for all your help. I'll report back if I get a photo or other material. I'd be interested from anyone who has access to the battalion War Diary or Regimental History if there is any indication of the circumstances in which CSM Hignett was captured. I am assuming from his date of discharge that he was involved in a prisoner exchange/repatriation. According to the family he lost a foot. He was certainly awarded the SWB from the information kindly received. Sadly he died aged only 38 in 1924.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:38:14 PM by Mark Hone »

Offline Mark Hone

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 12:23:38 PM »
The mystery of Hignett deepens. A friend has sent me a copy of his POW interview. He clearly states that he was captured at Le Sars on 21st November 1916. Le Sars is nowhere near where 2nd Manchesters was stationed on 21st November, and in any case the battalion War Diary records no losses on that date. I can only assume that he was on attachment to another unit, but which one? As suspected, because of his poor medical condition he was involved in a prisoner exchange in March 1918.