Author Topic: Lt.Col. H.Lewis : attd. 20th Bn. Manchester Regt.  (Read 3336 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Lt.Col. H.Lewis : attd. 20th Bn. Manchester Regt.
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
  Lt. Col. Harold Lewis : 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse), Mid (2), Commanding 20th Manchesters.

This brave officer was KIA on the 1st July1916 during the afternoon attack by the battalion on Fricourt and is buried in Dantzig Alley British Cem., Mametz.  Over the years I have made a point of visiting his grave whenever I was in its vicinity.

I have always attributed the heavy casualties suffered by the 20th Manchesters on the 1st July 1916, firstly, to the Artillery battery (fuze trouble) to eliminate the German strongpoint at Wing Corner, and, secondly, in respect of the totally unauthorised and failed morning attack on this strong point by the Green Howards which resulted in their wounded lying out in No Man's Land in front of the enemy post.    Thus, when the battery eventually was available to commence firing, it was prevented from doing so by the presence of the Green Howards' wounded lying on the battlefield.

However, that is another matter, but I wonder what is known of Colonel Lewis' service with the battalion, please?  PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Lt.Col. H.Lewis : attd. 20th Bn. Manchester Regt.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 01:47:27 PM »
he was transferred to the south staffs on 5-11-15 with the rank of major he then joined the 20th manchesters on 6th march 1916 as brevet major temp Lt colonel.

mack ;D

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 07:26:54 AM »
Mack,

Many thanks.  PhilipG.

Jim

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
Paddy Burke mentions Colonel Lewis in one of his letters

"..now, did I tell you we have a new Colnl. Mitchell was too shit to come into the trenches – went sick, I believe he is back in Blighty now, but its all over the division how he funked it – fancy after working us so hard – the old devil. Our new Coln seems ok  he comes round the trenches every day & night & chats with us & hes like a pal (from the Lancers.)"

Jim

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:13:05 PM »
Jim,

Thank you for your most interesting post and its startling contents. Regards, PhilipG.