Author Topic: RSM John Parker DCM 6141 2nd Battalion Died of Wounds 16/4/16  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Hi All,
Please see this link including a photo of John Parker who died in Farnborough, having been discharged with wounds.

https://cpgw.org.uk/soldier-records/john-thomas-parker/

My objective was to take a photo of John's grave in Farnborough, Hants.  It wasn't possible to find his last resting place, but a the photo and details help build a record.

Sgt Major Parker entered France on 15/8/14. He was awarded DCM, serving with 1nd. [1st or 2nd?] Bn. Gazetted 1/4/15 'For gallant conduct and good service throughout the very heavy fighting in which the Battalion has been engaged.'

If there is no gravestone remaining, would CWGC consider a replacement?  I've seen their good work in France and wonder if anyone knows what policies apply. I will need to double check with the Council, that I was looking in the right place, but I'm just wondering....

Tim
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 02:51:48 PM by Timberman »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

timberman

Re: RSM John Parker DCM 6141 2nd Battalion Died of Wounds 16/4/16
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 11:11:34 PM »
Thanks Neil,
Either the hail and rain stopped my view, or that broken column isn't there any more. I vaguely recognise it though and will have look next Sunday.
Cheers
Tim

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »
RSM parker didn't die of wounds,he was becoming forgetful,he didn't report sick,it was his CO who noticed that he wasn't his usual self and reported him sick,he was sent to the 11th gen hospital at bolougne on 6th feb 1915 suffering from debility,he was then evacuated to England on the HS st.patrick the following day and admitted to the northern gen hospital Sheffield on 8th February,he later returned to Belgium,but became ill again on 16th august 1915 with the same sickness,he was sent to the 3rd stationary hospital at rouen and then evacuated home on the hospital ship st.george and admitted to 3rd London gen hospital wandsworth on 19th august,his condition was very serious,he had been wounded over the left eye at le cateau on 26th august 1914 but refused to go to the base and remained with the 2nd battalion until he was sent home sick in February 1915,discharged as permanently unfit on 16th November 1915

5208 john,thomas parker
highland light infantry
enlisted 21-2-1894
occupation,blacksmith
aged 21
present in all his battalions actions on the NW frontier 1897-1898,punjab,malakand etc
transferred to the manchesters on 31-1-1899
joined the permanent staff of the 2nd VB manchesters on 17-5-1907,rejoined 2nd manchesters on 28-2-1908
married miss norah,annie York at farnboro on 12-7-1902
daughter norah,marion,eunice born middleburg SA on 11-4-1905
resided the squirrell,park rd,farnboro
awarded LSGC medal,his CO described him as a exemplary and very nearly perfect soldier,honest,reliable and brave,could hold any position in the army

RSM parker died of ill health,the cause of his ill health will remain confidential

mack ;D

timberman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:38 PM »
Thanks for posting Mack
A bit more for my 2n Bn

Timberman :)

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Thanks Mack,

I see no reference in SDGW.  I this because John had retired when he died?

I notice his father in law was also an Army pensioner and publican, whose son had been born in Edinburgh. I wonder if that was an original HLI connection.  Young Norah certainly had a major military pedigree as a product of the Empire.

There's a story to tell with every grave and you have certainly helped remember RSM Parker.

Cheers

Tim

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
Thanks Mack,

I see no reference in SDGW.
Tim

Why would you expect one Tim?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 08:22:32 AM »
SDGW isn't a full list,theres probably thousands missing from these lists.
with regard to RSM parkers grave,his family may have opted to erect their own memorial for him,a broken column signifies a earthly death and grief,so it looks like his family expressed their loss with the appropriate memorial,the CWGC cannot erect a headstone if the family decline the offer,if you do return to the cemetery and his marker is still there,then I wouldn't bother contacting the CWGC,but if you are curious about his lack of a CWGC headstone,they may tell you if the family preferred their own commemoration.

mack ;D

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Tim a quick search of the internet will fully enlighten you as to the SDGW, however it is generally accepted that there are about 700,000 names in the Volumes, by no means all - some sources believe at least 300,000 are missing from that record.

Indeed I think it is fair to say that there is no known exact number of dead, and no list, even the CWGC, is complete otherwise there would be no need for us to still be putting forward the names of men who aren't on their lists.

That's the thing with research = "The systematic investigation into and study of materials and sources in order to establish facts and reach new conclusions" as the Oxford Dictionary says  ;)

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
Thanks to Wendi & Mack,

I was a little surprised that a man acknowledged by CWGC as a casualty of WWI had not been included in the SDGW.  Maybe it was a naive question that I had posed, but I thought that was part of forum life.
Any way, the full explanation that SDGW records are incomplete is useful and something I hadn't come across before. The background to CWGC policies is also helpful. 

I'll report back next week on RSM Parker's memorial stone.

T

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »
hiya tim.
I know some very good researchers who didn't know that SDGW was incomplete,now that you know,you can pass this on to others,its all knowledge gained,its not important if they are missing from these lists,what is important is when they are missing from the CWGC so that we can get them properly honoured,let us know if his gravestone is still intact.

mack ;D

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 07:07:51 PM »
Mack,
I'm pleased to report John Parker's memorial is intact in Victoria Road Cemetery, Farnborough; needs a bit of scrub though.  His father in law Henry John York shares the plot (Died 1922) and this may be why I missed the name.

John's daughter went on to marry the son of artist Arthur John Trevor-Briscoe.

Photos on their way to Tonyrod.

T

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
Attached is RSM Parker's DCM Citation, unfortunately the early awards appear not to have been annotated with where and when. His DCM was Gazetted on 11.02.1915, the Citation appeared in the LG on 01.04.1916.

According to the CWGC records he is buried in a common grave, which was originally marked by a Military wooden cross.

Charlie

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 07:20:37 AM »
Here's the link with the photo of RSM Parker http://www.cpgw.org.uk/soldier-records/john-thomas-parker/

Grave and pub photo (1942) attached.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:54 AM »

According to the CWGC records he is buried in a common grave, which was originally marked by a Military wooden cross.

Charlie
[/quote]
Hi Charlie,
I can see reference to the column & kerb, but not the common grave or wooden cross.  What am I missing please?