Author Topic: Date of entry on the MIC's  (Read 14268 times)

timberman

Date of entry on the MIC's
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Taken from a post on the GWF

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151414

You're right when you say that the info on the MIC's were compiled from different sources. 

If you look at a man's service record, the date on which he left the UK (i.e. the date on which he left 'Home Establishment') is regarded for admin purposes as the date he entered the new theatre (MEF in the case of men bound for Egypt or Gallipoli).  Yet, as you've found, there may be a gap of a week or more between 'entering' this new theatre and actually arriving there.  I posted a couple of replies on that other thread which addresses this, so I won't reiterate those points here, suffice to say that some MIC's (or more likely the medal rolls that the MIC's were based on) were mainly, but not exclusively, compiled from the battalion's own records and also would have been compiled in 1917, long after many of the men on it were killed or had left.  So some dates will have had to come from other units or from the man's own service papers.  Some clerks may have found his 'date of entry' on his actual attestation papers (which would show the date of entry as being the date he left the UK), while others seem to have used the more accurate 'Casualty Form'.  In the case of the Casualty Form, the correct date is recorded in a column on the right hand side of the page, while the date on which this entry was made (often a few days later) is recorded on the left.  So there was some scope for error when using this source; you'll find lots of people on this forum getting these dates mixed up.  I believe that these various reasons may explain the variety of different dates that appear for men who all arrived in theatre on the same ship.

Clearly there were advanced parties, but I suspect that this was much more common for units sailing for France rather than those sailing for the middle east, although I may be wrong about this point.  There may also have been some stragglers whose departure was delayed for some reason.

Timberman

P.s. Capital letters used in posts for people that don't know is shouting!!!!

timberman

Re: Date of entry on the MIC's
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 10:32:49 PM »
Taken from Ancestry

WWI Medal Index Cards

This database contains the Medal Rolls Index, or Medal Index Cards. The collection currently contains approximately 4.8 million people, which is nearly all of the total collection. There will be one more update to this collection in the very near future that will complete this database.

The records in each release cover a wide range of surnames from all alphabetical ranges. The records can be searched by first and last name and Corps, Unit or Regiment. These cards were created by the Army Medal Office (AMO) of the United Kingdom in Droitwich near the close of World War I (WWI).

The Medal Index Cards collection is the most complete listing of individuals who fought in the British Army in WWI, containing approximately 90 per cent of soldiers� names. The Index Cards were created in order to keep details about a soldier�s medal entitlement in one place.
Who were awarded medals?

Certain requirements needed to be met in order to qualify for certain medals (see descriptions below). However, nearly all soldiers who served abroad were awarded at least one medal.
About the Index Cards:

WWI Medal Card   

WWI Medal Card 

There�s both a front and back to each card. Cards are arranged alphabetically by soldiers� surnames. There are a few different card forms that were used, so the amount of information recorded will vary. However, the type of information that may be found on the cards includes:

Name of soldier
    Regiment
    Corps
    Rank(s)
    Regiment number(s)
    Name of medal(s) received
    Roll and page numbers (references to the original AMO medal rolls)
    Theatre of war served in and date of entry
    Date of enlistment
    Date and reason of discharge
    Remarks
    Correspondence notes
    Address

About the Medals

The Medal Rolls Index Cards will tell you which of the campaign medals below your ancestor may have been awarded. In general, everyone who served overseas received some form of medal.

1914 Star (Mons Star) was awarded for service in France or Flanders (Belgium) between 5 August and 22 November 1914.
    1914-15 Star was awarded for service in France or Flanders (Belgium) between 23 November 1914 and 31 December 1915, or for service in any theatre between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915.
    Allied Victory Medal (Victory Medal) was awarded for service in any operational theatre between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was issued to individuals who received the 1914 and 1914-15 Stars and to most individuals who were issued the British War Medal. The medal was also awarded for service in Russia (1919-1920) and post-war mine clearance in the North Sea (1918-1919).
    British War Medal was awarded to both servicemen and civilians that either served in a theatre of war, or rendered service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was also awarded for service in Russia, and post-war mine clearance in the Baltic, the Black Sea, and the Caspian Sea between 1919 and 1920.
    Silver War Badge (SWB) was awarded to servicemen who became ill or were wounded while serving in a theatre of war or at home.
    Territorial Force War Medal was awarded to servicemen who were members of the Territorial Force either on or before 30 September 1914 and who served in an operational theatre abroad between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.

Also included in this database are some women�s service awards and Mentioned in Despatches (MID) notes. Mentioned in Despatches was an award for commendable service or bravery in the field. Despatches were official reports that detailed military operations and were returned to HQ. These reports were published in the London Gazette. Servicemen who had performed noteworthy actions were often mentioned in these reports; therefore they are described as Mentioned in Despatches.

Timberman
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:33:18 AM by charlie »