Author Topic: 42nd d company  (Read 3130 times)

samuel

42nd d company
« on: March 30, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
I was at the evacuation of dunkirk and I am trying to find out what happened to the men of d company who did not make it back.  Or is there anyone out there who was a dunkirk.  I was taken off the pier on hms Anthony.  I will be going back to Dunkirk as I do every year.  This year I will be leaving England on the 14th May.  I would love to hear from anyone who was out there then.  I originally come from Padiham and now live in Manchester.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: 42nd d company
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:24:36 PM »
Hi Sam

and welcome

i'm sorry you've not had any response, my father was at Dunkirk, he was a DR, i still remember the stories he told me about being there

my favourite one was while he was walking down the beach trying to work out what was going on, a voice shouted 'oi arthur what the hell ( well i think it was hell) are you doing here?' he had bumped into his cousin from london who was sat in a shell hole...

i hope you have a great trip

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:23 PM »
i'm sorry you've not had any response,

oh...but he has! ;D

PS...Sam...i've just got back from a trip away (thanks for the email BTW (a wonderfully interesting account - thanks very much for that), i will be reponding soon with some more relavent material (I got my battalions wrong in my first contacts with you). just got to sort it out into "emailable" chunks!)

cheers.

dave.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
Doesn't that make you  :P  ::)

Well it does me ........ thinking Sam was a loner.....  ::)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha