Author Topic: Cpl W. M. Garden  (Read 4508 times)

LesG

Cpl W. M. Garden
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »
Any survivors from my dads' platoon / coy/regt- joined 1939, served at Dunkirk, back to UK, Iceland and then wounded during the landings at Walchern 1944.
He is still going (90) and is begining to tell of his experiences during the Dunkirk evacuation - some of them not very nice but the fog of war !

timberman

Re: Cpl W. M. Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:55:42 PM »
Hi LesG

Welcome to the forum.
I moved the post to this section as people on the forum have Email alerts for the boards their watching.
So hopefully someone will be along soon.

Timberman

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:44:35 PM by timberman »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:15:47 PM »
Hi Les and a warm welcome to our forum  ;D

I'm glad to hear your father is still "going" !!!  Has he obtained his service record from the MOD?  It is his entitlement if he wishes....

Kind regards to you both

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

LesG

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
Wendi,
Thanks for the info - how do I get the records ??

Regards
Les G

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:41:33 PM »
It's quite simple Les

He needs to fill in a Subject Access Request (SAR) which is available to download from this web site http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html#1

All the info is here, so I think you should easily be able to assist him! and if you have any queries just let us know

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 11:53:28 PM »
Les.

Who exactly did your dad serve with at the beginning? (with the mention of Dunkirk/UK/Iceland, I'm guessing at the 9th Bn Manchesters)... I've probably got nothing on the later stuff, but i may quite likely have something on the 1940 campaign.

Dave.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:57:52 PM by Fritz Bayer »

LesG

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:32:48 PM »
Dave,
A bit of a convoluted journey. Was called up June 39 but not formally allocated a service number till Dec 39 when he went to the Middlesex Rgt ( 6210677 is his number) Still a mystery to him as he was from Aberdeenshire. Then transferred to 1/9th Manchesters, came out of Dunkirk on the Whippingham just a couple of days before it shut down. A lot of "friendly fire incidents" during the retreat where they shot up Belgian civialians and other British Army units after been told that it was free fire to their front. A Vickers is not forgiving when you press the trigger. Spent some considerable time in Iceland burying corned beef ! Then came back to Scotland and was billeted about 10  miles from home - only local in the (English) Bn ! Ended up in the 7th Manchesters at Walchern. Was due to go on D day landings by glider but that got scrubbed at the last minute and he got married instead.

Also had a good friend in CSM Jimmy Hill  who was a boxer and went on to become Bn Champion in Berlin.

Les G

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Les.
Assuming your father does not live too far away he would be made most welcome at the monthly meeting of one of the branches of the Manchester Regiment Association
(now part of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment  Association) held at ARdwick Green - Manchester, the Armoury -Ashton-under-Lyne or Fulwood Barracks- Preston.

I suggest that you speak with RHQ Manchester on 0161 273 6191.

Plenty of kindred souls still around.

Robert
Robert