Author Topic: Hello  (Read 19976 times)

rstlevas

Hello
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:48:04 AM »
Hello

Please find attached photo of my late father, Alfred Leopold Quantrill. He is the in the middle. I have no idea where the photo was taken or details of the other two.

Kind regards

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »
hi rstlevas

and welcome to the forum

i am guessing, by the uniform, he was in the regiment in WW2?

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
if the soldier on the right was a couple of inches smaller,he and your dad could pass off as twins.

mack ;D

rstlevas

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:47:55 AM »
hi rstlevas
and welcome to the forum
i am guessing, by the uniform, he was in the regiment in WW2?
cheers
chris

Hi

I think it is around 1944, but that is only a guess

Thanks

rstlevas

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »
if the soldier on the right was a couple of inches smaller,he and your dad could pass off as twins.

mack ;D

Hi Mack

You are right !!! They look so alike.

Cheers

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »
These faces look familiar to me BUT I did not join the Bn until November or thereabouts 1949 in Wuppertal; the wearing of ties and faced blouse lapels came in around 1946 but again the Dress (Bottle Green) side-hats only turned up around 1948. I am trying to remember whether or not the same colour diamond backing to the cap badge came in at or before Wuppertal. Finally from what I can make out of the barely visible Div sign on the right sleeve of the chap with the side cap it seems to be black with a white/silver design on it which would make it one of the Armoured Div signs - 1st or 6th. The building to the rear reminds me of part of the Bahnof freight depot  at Wuppertal - so  come on the others of you who were also at Wuppertal - think hard  and confirm or correct my thoughts on this.
George. ???

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »
My memory of that time is not too good George only being 7,8 and 9 at that time.  I have blown up the photo and enhaced it as best I can but the badge is still not clear though it does look a little like the Berlin circle on a black background.
I cannot remember that type of fencing being in Germany but could be wrong.
Again I cannot make out the badge on the left sleve (low down) of the man on the right as you look at the photo.
Cliff   
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Thanks Cliff,
Yes the fencing had me bothered to begin with which made me think in terms of Dunham Park area where the 1st & 2nd Bn's amalgamated but that type of building as far as I can remember would only have been found at that period around one of the larger aerodromes such as Ringway or Burtonwood which definitely did not use chestnut-pailing fences but were also some considerable distance away from Dunham!!! Quite a lot of that type of material came over in the D-Day landings to fill ditches etc and allow tanks to cross without difficulty so could well have been put to other uses by various units.
I cannot remember any building of that type in the Spandau area of Berlin and very few , if any, of our lads went out of our sector apart from the couple who went over the wall.
For some reason or other the name Trotter keeps coming backto me for the lad in the dress cap
George.

rstlevas

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
Another photo of my father, clearly posed but no idead where.

rstlevas

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »
I'm sorry if I'm boring you .................. here is another found in my father's wallet.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »
Hi again,
Never boring searching for facts - now with the clear 'Y' Div (5th Infantry Div) it was Wuppertal ; so that makes it between 1948 and 1949
George.

PS. I had been thinking of 'Y' Div but had been put of because when I had worn that Div sign previously when in The Border Regiment it was a white Y on a square buff background.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 08:15:57 PM by george.theshed197 »

rstlevas

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 08:31:47 PM »
Many thanks George

I don't know the significance of the lamps, perhaps they were some kind of test pieces?

Kind regards
Stephen

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 10:37:13 AM »
Hi Stephen

Your pics give us an insight to the Manchester Regt in the late 1940s they are not boring, thank you for showing them.

Cheers Roy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 11:29:31 AM »
Now you have aroused my curiosity - What on earth are two lads from the Manchester Regiment doing on what is obviously a very Country/Rural Road carrying two bedside lamps? Shirt sleeve order indicates summer - the country area would indicate Goslar 1947 rather than industrial Wuppertal 1948 - way before my time with the Bn but I am still curious.
George.

PS. Cliff - can you remember if there were any of the Married Qtrs in Wuppertal  on lanes like this ?? Having said that - they would not be issuing them out singly in that manner - we did have 3 tonners attached to the QM's dept - even in Wupper.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:36:13 PM by george.theshed197 »

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »
George, I don't know about the location of the married quarters, in Wuppertal we were in a block of flats out of camp, these were on a main road which was in quite a rural area.  In Berlin we were in a large house split into two flats located very close to the Russian Zone.

It's obvious to me though that these men were on light duties.  ;D ;D

Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC