Author Topic: grandad manchester regiment 9th battalion  (Read 11191 times)

lin46

grandad manchester regiment 9th battalion
« on: October 02, 2010, 06:14:27 PM »
;D Hi i am trying to find out about my grandfathers medals he would have recived in the 2nd world war. He was in the Manchester Regiment 9TH Battalion Arthur Graney we only have 1 medal the Italy star its a shame we dont know what happened to the medals if they were sold or lost we have no idea he also won the Military Medal and went to Buckingham Palace to receive it he won that on the 27th of august 1940 i know he would have had at least 5 medals but dont know which ones we have no photos or anything it would be nice to find out more he was based at ladysmith barracks as well my mother was born there my grandad was born in sheffield in 1912
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 06:21:31 PM by Wendi »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: grandad manchester regiment 9th battalion
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:28:39 PM »
Hi Lin and a Warm Welcome to our forum  ;D

I'll move your post over to the WW2 section and hope that the chaps can help you.

Your granddad's service record would be available to his next of kin for £30 and you would have to have a copy of his death cert.  You can obtain further information how to here

Notice of his being awarded the MM should be Gazetted in "The London Gazette" if you google you should find it.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:18:39 PM »
The 27th August date is actually the date of his gazette entry. Its likely that it was for actions in May 1940.  His recommendation for the award which will give details of what it was for can be found and downloaded (for a small fee) here...http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=7652308&queryType=1&resultcount=1

I've got his battalion War Diary for their time in France (well,between May 10th and June 1st anyway), but he gets no mention in there (it's pretty sparce as the original was lost and it had to be re-written upon arrival in the UK).

Dave
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:21:12 PM by Fritz Bayer »

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:29:11 PM »
Thanks for that Dave !

Lin I would encourage you to download the link that Dave gave you and pay the fee.  

My father also won the MM and never mentioned how or why.  It is my understanding that the original citation was provided with the medal, and if destroyed was lost for ever, but the recommendation for the award, is fascinating and gives the reasons why he was suggested for the medal and the signatures of those who acknowledged his bravery.

A very proud daughter of a holder of The Military Medal  ;)

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

lin46

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
;D Thank you i wasnt sure to pay or not as i didnt know what the information would be like and does it give a picture because i did a printout of a picture and newspaper from our libary but it is a poor copy i wondered if this would be better i also wondered if there would be any filming done for this anywere  ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 11:29:23 AM by Wendi »

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:35 AM »
I must again refer to Volunteer Infantry of Ashton-unde-Lyne. On page 76 the text refers to 'D' Company of the 9th Battalion supporting 3rd Grenadier Guards at the Ypres-Comines Canal, the scene of much intensive fighting.

"The canal was to be the testing point of the strength of the Dunkirk perimeter.  On the 27th Acting Sergeant Arthur Graney was awarded the Military Medal for his bravery. (London Gazette 23 August 1940) The Grenadier Guards faced a desperate situation.  Ammunition was pitifully short and now, at noon on 28 May, the steady surge of refugees going north completed the confusion."

I understand that Sergeant Graney was awarded the only Military Medal to the 9th Battalion in WWII.

I hope that this is of help.
Robert

lin46

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 11:48:53 AM »
 ;D Thank you very much robert for that information my grandad would have had more medals but they have either been lost or sold has when grandad was back from the war he and my gran would have had 8 children to look after shame will never get the medals back i have only 1 medal the italy star after the war grandad became a instructor with the machine gun corps  ;D

lin46

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:47:03 PM »
 ;D would love it if there were some pictures of grandads visit to buckingham palace  ;D

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »
Lin...

might be of interest (9/Manchesters War Diary 24th - 29th May 1940)...

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:01:52 PM »
3/Gren. Guards history account of 27th and 28th May 1940...

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:36 PM »
...continued...

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Fritz Bayer

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
3/GG sketch map from history...

Fritz Bayer