Author Topic: Leslie Whitworth  (Read 526 times)

Offline Whilloer

Leslie Whitworth
« on: November 15, 2023, 06:40:02 PM »
Hi, I am writing on behalf of my grandfather who was in the Manchester regiment. His name is Leslie Whitworth Service no 22908161. He signed up in August 1953 and went to Malaya on the Dunera. He was in S company. Grandad then went on to Berlin in 1954 and left from Minden in 1956. I would love to see if anyone knew Grandad or had any photos which may include him as I am sure he would love to see these. Best wishes Holly :)

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
Re: Leslie Whitworth
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 10:53:59 AM »
Welcome Whilloer
The 1st Battalion The Manchester Regiment were spread around Malaya (as it was then) with their HQ in Penang, I was there with my parents but being only 11 when I arrived with my mother in February 1952 it is most unlikely that I came into contact with your grandfather.
I will make someone who was serving there at the time aware of your post.
Try to get hold of a copy of Cpt Robert Bonner's book Jungle Bashers it will give you a very good insight to the situation your grandfather was in. I have checked my copy but cannot see your grandfather mentioned but he may be in one or more of the photos in it. You may find copies for sale on line at ridiculous prices, check out second hand book shops for a copy or see if your local library can get a copy for you to borrow.
Take a look at the following sections of the Forum:
Scroll down the home page to Photos and Postcard Project, click on photos by Battalion then down to Far East Photos and look at the photos in the 1st Battalion Malaya section. This is the link direct to them: https://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=627.0
Best of luck.
Cliff (rafboy)

PS: I forgot to add the ISBN for Jungle Bashers, it is: 1873907125   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 10:58:19 AM by rafboy »
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline Whilloer

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »
Hi Cliff,
Thank you for your reply and for getting in touch with the person who was serving there, fingers crossed they knew Grandad.

I have been desperate to get hold of a copy of "Jungle Bashers" as grandad would also like to read it, but unfortunately I can not find one anywhere online. I never thought to check the libraries book shops though so will try that.
Thank you for the link, I will go and have a good look through them.
Best wishes
Holly

Offline Whilloer

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 08:12:02 PM »
Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the photographs, I have found some of his Sargents, Paddy Mulligan and Dodd (who grandad tells me was a fantastic boxer).

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:26:56 PM »
Only too pleased to be of some help Holly.

My contact has seen your Facebook post to the Manchester Regiment Group so if he could add anything for you I would have expected him to reply there.

Has your Grandfather got his Service Records, if not the following link explains how to get them. Be aware they could take a long time to get hold of as they are being transferred to the National Archive at Kew where they are being digitised.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service             This is the official Government site.

Cliff

Offline Whilloer

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 09:35:27 PM »
Thanks Cliff. No I don't think we have his service records, I will update his passport and order them for him.
Holly.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »
Hi Holly

I hope you don't have to wait too long for the records.

I have sent you a message via Forum Messages.

Cliff