Author Topic: Re: Thomas Ashton  (Read 7275 times)

angie2405

Re: Thomas Ashton
« on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:18 PM »
I am helping my friend Brian to find information on his grandfather - Thomas Ashton born c1899.

Thomas enlisted at Ladysmith Barracks in Ashton [c1918] - he came out of the Army c1950 after 32 years - died c1982 Leeds.

He married Sarah Clark in 1918 at St James Church Oldham.  They had 4 children Violet [b1919 Oldham -confirmed] Thomas [b1921 Kamptee] Frederick [b1925 Rangoon] and Brian Harvey [b1931 Trimulgherry -confirmed]. I haven't confirmed the births for Thomas & Frederick yet.

My friend Brian [son of Brian Harvey] and his mum think that Thomas joined the 9th Manchester Btn.  Not sure when Thomas returned to England although Brian did say his parents met c1946.

I just don't know where to start :(

Any help would be appreciated.

Angie

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:39 PM »
Hi Angie and Welcome to our Forum  ;D

There is really only one place to start, and that is with his service record.  This is held by the MOD and is available to his next of kin, for a fee and a copy of his death certificate.

Click Here for further information, on how to obtain it.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

sphinx

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
Angie,

Thomas was a regular soldier in the 2nd Bn. The Manchester Regiment.

The births of his childred correspond exactly to the Battalions stations , ie, Kamptee, Rangoon & Trimulgherry.

He may not have joined soon enough to see active service in WW1 but he certainly did in Iraq in 1920 when he was awarded the General Service Medal with clasp, "IRAQ". His service numbers were  firstly 64242 then 3513072.

He may well have been attached to the 9th (TA) Bn. at Ashton after WW2 in a permanant staff post but I dont know.  It is quite possible.

regards

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »

angie2405

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 12:29:57 AM »
Hi Sphinx

Thank you sooo much for the service numbers for Thomas Ashton.  All I need to do now is to find out when Thomas died then we can order his records from the MOD

Tonyrod

The flickr link was amazing ... I did another search and found a few more pictures of Trimulgherry

Thanx to you both :)

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:15:37 AM »
There is one that may fit:

Registered in the last quarter of 1982 in Leeds, Thomas Ashton, born 26th May 1900 Volume 05 Page 0200

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

angie2405

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
Wendi

Thank you for taking the time to look for Thomas's death - will have to look into it  :)

Sphinx

Why would someone have 2 Service Numbers ?  I found 6 other service men who had 64242 as their Service No. ....................................... am totally confused now lol ??? ???

sphinx

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
Angie,

The British Army did not synchronise service numbers until after WW1 and some soldiers in the same Regiment had the same number, albeit they were in different Battalions.  Multiply that number by all the Regiments in the Army and there would be lots of men with the same number.

After the War everyone got a different unique number, a process that still stands today.

regards

angie2405

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
Sphinx

Thanks very much for the explanation  ;D

Neither my friend Brian [ex army like his dad and grandfather Thomas] or my son [currently serving in Cyprus] didn't know why anyone would have 2 Service numbers .... woohooooo now I know something they don't ......  LOL

Angie

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
hi angie, give our regards and thanks to your son  and all his pals serving in CYPRUS. from all of us on the forum. ;D tonyrod

angie2405

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:48 AM »
Hi Tonyrod

Will pass your message onto my son ....... he came home today  - '2 weeks Christmas Leave'  ;D  better late than never :)

Angie