Author Topic: Stanley Edgar Marnes - 33536729 5th/7th battalion ww2  (Read 4147 times)

jmckenzi

Stanley Edgar Marnes - 33536729 5th/7th battalion ww2
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »
Hi All,

I am trying to find some information on behalf of my mother regarding my grandfather Stanley Edgar Marnes.

I know he joined the Manchesters at 1943 and was in the 5th battalion and then was put in the 7th. He was also made a warrant officer as well at some point but not sure when.

Would really appreciate any information or pointers in the right direction.

Many Thanks

James

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
Re: Stanley Edgar Marnes - 33536729 5th/7th battalion ww2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:52 PM »
James - welcome,
At the beginning of WWII the 5th Bn was divided in two to form a duplicate battalion which became the 6th.  Similarly the 8th Battalion spawned a new 7th Bn.  For details of the 7th's activities in the war have a look at the battalion index in the opening pages of this site. They had a very interesting time.
Robert
Robert

jmckenzi

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 04:23:31 PM »
Hi Robert,

Thanks for that. I know my grandfather was at balmoral for a short period of time as we have a picture of him with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth while 5th was at Balmoral.
I will see if I can get a copy of it and post it onto the website if you would like?? There are around another 70 soldiers in the picture as well.

James

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:16 AM »
Hi Robert,

Thanks for that. I know my grandfather was at balmoral for a short period of time as we have a picture of him with King George VI and Queen Elizabeth while 5th was at Balmoral.
I will see if I can get a copy of it and post it onto the website if you would like?? There are around another 70 soldiers in the picture as well.

James

oh yes that would be good!

cheers

chris
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Hi James !

Have you applied for his service record?  It's available to next of kin at a fee.

For further info Click here

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha