Author Topic: 9th battalion in Iceland 1941 - W. Campbell and T. Richards  (Read 3849 times)

asgrrr

9th battalion in Iceland 1941 - W. Campbell and T. Richards
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:47:35 AM »
My son and I came upon the remains of some sort of bunker in woodland located in central Reykjavík today. The location ("Öskjuhlíð") was an important defensive position protecting the airfield built there by the British army in WW2. The area used to be a rocky hill without trees and still contains multiple bunkers and pillboxes and other wartime structures. The remains we found today is something I had not seen before, despite frequenting the area for many years. An inscription apparently made in the wet cement during construction reads "The Manchester Regt.", "W. Campbell" and "T. Richards". I took photographs and will try to upload them.

On this website it says: "The 9th Battalion went to France in April 1940, withdrew through Dunkirk and reorganised at Llandudno. To Iceland as part of Iceland ‘C’ Force in March 1941.  Then to Scotland, Orkney & Shetland Islands and in December 1942 to East Anglia".

Therefore I assume that the inscription was made by two soldiers who built the structure in question, Campbell and Richards, of the 9th battalion sometime between March 1941 and December 1942, probably closer to the earlier date. It would be interesting to trace these individuals and perhaps their descendants or other family.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:51:14 AM by asgrrr »

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
Re: 9th battalion in Iceland 1941 - W. Campbell and T. Richards
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:35:42 PM »
How very interesting to have discovered these traces of the 9th Battalion in 1941.
In 1943 they went on to the war in Italy, remaining there and in occupied Austria until returning to the UK at the end of 1945.

Neither a W Campbell nor T Richards are shown as casualties although a Bryn Richards died on 13 November 1944 and is buried in Meldola War Cemetery.
Robert

asgrrr

Re: 9th battalion in Iceland 1941 - W. Campbell and T. Richards
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:10:34 PM »
Well that is good news, thank you for this bit of information Robert Bonner. It can be hoped then that these two survived the war and may have left descendants.