Author Topic: AVLs  (Read 30437 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
AVLs
« on: October 20, 2007, 08:02:38 AM »
the absent voters registers that we now have in our archives,cover the following areas of manchester.
ancoats
ardwick
west gorton
gorton
openshaw
longsight
levenshulme
rusholme
chorlton on medlock
chorlton cum hardy
hulme
pendleton
broughton[higher+lower]
weaste
ordsall
greengate
crumpsall
bradford[manchester]
inner salford

our hard working war graves officer,TIS,has tracked down and paid for a copy of the oldham registers,they will be in our archives in a few days.

for those who dont know what an absent voters register is.
it was introduced in order that a serviceman/woman could register their vote[without proxy].no matter where they where.
the information was gathered in oct 1917,made available in feb 1918 and the registers typed up and kept at the town hall in oct 1918.

i dont mind doing a surname search,as long as you give me an area,bear in mind,that any serviceman/woman killed or discharged before oct 1917 is unlikely to be listed,also those under 21yrs old.

mack

Offline kemrobson

Re: AVLs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:01:16 PM »
Hi Mack
To start the ball rolling I would be grateful if you could do a couple of look-ups for me:

John Robert Robson - Chorlton on Medlock or Hulme
George Edward Cowley - Hulme

Addresses and units would be most helpful if they are there.

Regards
Keith

Researching:-
John Robert Robson 1/8th Manchester Regt 1915/16
Joe Cookson 12th Manchester Regt KIA 3 December 1915
Old Boys of William Hulme's Grammar School

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 01:09:01 AM »
Hi Mack
To start the ball rolling I would be grateful if you could do a couple of look-ups for me:

John Robert Robson - Chorlton on Medlock or Hulme
George Edward Cowley - Hulme

Addresses and units would be most helpful if they are there.

Regards
Keith

hiya keith.
i noticed that johns service was between 1915/16,he wont be in the registers if he left the forces before oct 1917
i will check for george tonight for you.
mack

Offline kemrobson

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 01:19:59 PM »
Hi Mack
Thanks for the look-up. Sorry for any confusion but my grandfather John Robert transferred to the ASC at some stage during the war and was not discharged until 1919. Hopefully he should be on there somewhere and it might narrow down the date of transfer a bit, I have estimated sometime in 1916, when I believe volunteers for the ASC were called for. At some stage his mother moved to Llandudno but I don't know whether this was before or after the war. An address in 1912 was 95 Burlington Street, Chorlton-on Medlock, near the 7th Drill Hall, the house now demolished and an open space. He married my grandmother in 1920 and they then lived in Bristol Street, Hulme.
Any info greatly appreciated.
Regards
Keith

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 01:22:27 PM »
hiya keith.
theres no george cowley in hulme,but theres this man in nearby ardwick.
pte g cowley
2/8th manchesters
volunteered june 1915
employed on home service till discharged in july 1916, as no longer fit for service
discharged with heart trouble
lived at 40 gorton st,ardwick.

there was a robert cowley in hulme.
pte robert cowley
137th labour coy
lived at 42 york st,hulme.

mack

Offline kemrobson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »
Hi Mack
Thanks for looking but I don't think these are related. George Edward was the son of my ggfather George Cowley who had a garage/motorcycles/cycles/repairs business on Stretford Road, Hulme.
Regards
Keith

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »
Hi Mack
Thanks for looking but I don't think these are related. George Edward was the son of my ggfather George Cowley who had a garage/motorcycles/cycles/repairs business on Stretford Road, Hulme.
Regards
Keith

really?  i grew up in old trafford where abouts was the business Keith?
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 07:46:36 PM »
Mack-Could you have a look and see if my gt Uncle-9871 L/cpl Joseph Henry Henshall is in the AVL,s for Bradford or Ancoats. He was 21 when he was killed in August 1918 so he could possibly be there.
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

tisgrannie

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 08:15:14 PM »
Hi Can I just explain that I forwarded this query to mack. It had been here for a few days whilst mack was changing over his mail set up. he replied to me as opposed to this section. Hence the name tisgrannie in message.

This info is from mack:

joseph was from miles platting,i dont have that register yet.
but i do have info of my own that may be of help till i get the miles
 platting register
L/cpl 9871 joseph,henry henshall
enlisted sept 1914.
18th manchesters,A.company,III platoon.
landed in france,8-11-1915.
son of thomas,henry+elizabeth,ann henshall,25 clifton rd,miles
 platting.
killed in action on 28-8-1918 near bapaume while serving with the 1/5th
 manchesters,aged 21.
buried in warlencourt british cemetery.
grave ref.IV.B.24

i cant be certain of the following,but he may have originally been
 buried in hexham rd cemetery,le sars and his grave brought into
 warlencourt.
hes mentioned in the national roll,and hes pictured on page 112 in the
 manchester city battalion book of honour.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:22:44 AM by tisgrannie »

Offline kingo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 10:06:19 AM »
Tis/Mack- When Joe enlisted in 1914 his parents didnt live at 25 Clifton st-they moved there sometime during the war. I cant find the address that he was living at in 1914. Fortunately, his records survived and there was some correspondence in his file regarding his personal effects that his father wrote. They had a lot of trouble getting his things back as the local pensions committee had his old address and it wasnt until 1921 that his effects turned up. 
Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

sitush

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 03:18:19 PM »
Hi Mack

Are you still offering to do a search of the AVLs? I'm trying to track down my grandfather but have next to nothing to go on.

Thomas Ford (no middle name & at least three served in the regt). Born 29/11/1898 at 17 Boardman St, Droylsden, by the time of his marriage in 1927 he was living at 6 Emily St (which is variously noted as Droylsden, Ashton, Audenshaw and Ardwick, depending on the document!). I'm making a big assumption that he may have served with the Manchesters since Ashton was just the down road. He lost his leg at some stage during the war, but no idea whether before or after the AVLs were compiled; nor am I sure if he'll be listed because of the 21 year voting age. No medals extant, so no service number.

Got a photo of him here in some sort of uniform but without his leg.

Needle and haystack come to mind!

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
hiya sitush.
i wont have the register that covers droylsden,till the end of january,but i will check it for you when i get it.
mack

sitush

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 12:25:58 AM »
Thanks, Mack. I wouldn't even know where to go to get these lists (Town Hall, one of the local libraries, Lancs Record Office, regt museum etc). I have some fairly decent IT/web/database skills, though, & wonder if anyone is looking at putting these archives up on the web. My bet is that there are copyright issues.

No rush for what I would like to have info about, and I'm very appreciative for your offering & for the work you have already done for others.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 01:54:23 AM »
Thanks, Mack. I wouldn't even know where to go to get these lists (Town Hall, one of the local libraries, Lancs Record Office, regt museum etc). I have some fairly decent IT/web/database skills, though, & wonder if anyone is looking at putting these archives up on the web. My bet is that there are copyright issues.

No rush for what I would like to have info about, and I'm very appreciative for your offering & for the work you have already done for others.
i think you are just the person ime looking for,do you live localish.
mack ;D

slob

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 08:36:34 PM »
Hi,
Do the AVLs only relate to the Manchester Regt or all Mancunians?
If it is the later, could you look up my grandfather Joseph Holland.
He was married in Gorton in 1916, but he might be in Ardwick, and he was with the Welsh Fusiliers.

Cheers,
    Dave