Author Topic: AVLs  (Read 30438 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: AVLs
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 03:26:27 PM »
dave.
he only gives his lab corps unit in the AVL,i checked it against the MIC before i posted it for you.

mack

slob

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
Ok, I have his MIC and I know he was in the R Sussex in Aug 1917 from my Dad's birth cert.
On the National Roll he says he was in most of the actions in Palestine we know he was in Egypt, probably Alexandria, in Feb&Mar 1918.
According to the Labour Corps historian, his number suggests he was with the Corps in the Alexandria area in the summer of 1917.
As he had an SWB, it seems likely that he was transferred through ill health or injury, possibley after the 2nd battle of Gaza in April 1917.
I think the only thing left to get is the SWB reference, do see if that gives any information.
It seems odd that he had the SWB, given he wasn't demobbed until 1919 - I thought that it was only given if they were discharged through ill health.

Dave

slob

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2008, 09:58:45 AM »
Hi Mack,
Regarding the information you gave me a few weeks ago about the AVL for John Neild:

sgt 3750 john,william neild
82nd squadron
RAF
2 wigley st,ardwick.

I got his service records and they said he was in 42 Sqn then 22 Sqn, so I accepted that.

Today I received a letter from his granddaughter, with some copies of photos, and she also mentioned that she found a French phrase book with his address written in.
And that said 82 Sq, RFC,BEF,France.

There's always something else to worry about !

Cheers,
    Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2008, 06:46:55 PM »
Hi Mack,
Regarding the information you gave me a few weeks ago about the AVL for John Neild:

sgt 3750 john,william neild
82nd squadron
RAF
2 wigley st,ardwick.

I got his service records and they said he was in 42 Sqn then 22 Sqn, so I accepted that.

Today I received a letter from his granddaughter, with some copies of photos, and she also mentioned that she found a French phrase book with his address written in.
And that said 82 Sq, RFC,BEF,France.

There's always something else to worry about !

Cheers,
    Dave

good work dave.
thats two successes on the trot for you

mack

slob

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »
Hi Mack,
As a long shot, could you see who was at 61 Heald Place, Rusholme?
It is one of 4 addresses written on the back of a group photo, the other 3 are just road names and could be anywhere.

Cheers,
   Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2008, 05:53:06 PM »
i think that address is in the moss side register,what are the other roads called.
mack

slob

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
The others are:

16 North Grove
Dartford Rd
Church Rd

There is a William Turnbull, engineer, living at the Rusholme address in 1911

Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
dave.
whats the name of the man at church rd.
mack

slob

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »
I don't know any names - its a group photo which includes the John Neild you found for me a while back. There are 7 RFC blokes in flying type gear. on the back are the addresses and 3 numbers, 85477,4006T and 112640.
I just thought I might be able to identify one of them, assuming they are their addresses.

Dave

Offline Robert Bonner

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 07:55:02 PM »
Larysa Bolton, the excellent Tameside Archivist, has produced a very clear description of the situation regarding AVLs from the old towns that make up present day Tameside.  It is well worth looking at as it clears up a lot of the ambiguities which have been expressed on the Forum from time to time.

The web site is www.tameside.gov.uk/archives/absentvoters.
Robert

sitush

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 08:04:30 PM »
Very, very useful. Pat on the back for Larysa. Hopefully some time in the next year or two she may be in possession of a copy of a searchable version of Manchester/Salford AVLs !