Author Topic: CAPT & QM JT Ball MC - Binoculars  (Read 937 times)

Offline DaveMurphy

• Global Moderator
CAPT & QM JT Ball MC - Binoculars
« on: August 10, 2021, 04:41:51 AM »
Hello all,

It's been quite some time since I have last posted here, but I thought I would jump back on.

I had also not logged into the GWF for a long while and when I did by chance to look up some unrelated family research, there was a message waiting for me since 2017. One of the chaps on there had purchased a set of binoculars and thought they could belong to my family due to previous posts about JT Ball.

He bought them at a local junk shop in Wales, amongst a box of old binocular cases. Nothing on the others, but these ones we're marked 'LT JT Ball 16 Man Regt' and just so happened to have the original binos inside. The story goes that the dealer bought them amongst a job lot at a house clearance auction in Hereford, but couldn't remember anything further.

So, the interim owner was kind enough to offer them to me, and now they are jetting their way to Australia to be reunited with his medals (Royal Mail willing)! I am absolutely stoked to have an artefact of his that he carried throughout his 2 years in France.

Like most government issued kit I would have expected them to have to be returned to 'stores', but I am willing to bet there were separate 'rules' for the Quartermaster who would know how to make things disappear off the books...  ;)

They will take pride of place with me when I head back to sea shortly!

Cheers,

Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: CAPT & QM JT Ball MC - Binoculars
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
hiya dave
nice to hear from you again,what a great find mate

mack

Offline DaveMurphy

• Global Moderator
Re: CAPT & QM JT Ball MC - Binoculars
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 11:52:08 PM »
They arrived a few weeks back Mack. So great to have them. The optics need a bit of work, and hard to find someone these days that will do it without a big cost. Worthwhile doing though to preserve them for another 100 years!

Cheers,

Dave