Author Topic: private 79184 william rodaway  (Read 16608 times)

Offline tonyrod

Re: private 79184 william rodaway
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 02:59:16 PM »
hi , going by all the charges and punishment, would you think this average for a young soldier, or as i think he was not very happy finding his mother was getting him out .and just had a go back. tony

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »
'cos of the noise the chains made when the chained together soldiers came out of the guard house ???

Well I like the idea but as it's not right I wonder where the word Jankers comes from ???

Tony !
he was only a lad but hard as nails, back home in liverpool after the war  he was a minder i was told for bessy braddock the liverpool mp

;D ;D :-X
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

timberman

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
Hello Wendi

The only meaning I could find, Like a lot of other slang words it just found it's way into every day life.

jan·kers [ jángk?rs ]
noun 

Definition:

U.K. military punishment: punishment for a serviceman or servicewoman who has committed a military offense ( slang )

[Early 20th century. Origin ?]

Timberman

Offline tonyrod

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 07:48:12 PM »
hi wendi, with me  not being in the services  :-\
i dont know if his record  was normal or just a bit over the top,and it was war time.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 08:16:48 PM »
Tony I really have not seen enough to comment, but I do wonder how much he would have known about his mum was trying to get him out, I guess it's possible.

It does appear that he didn't start kicking off until he had been in some 7 or so months, but this could be due to training etc ?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha