Author Topic: brothers last vigil  (Read 25007 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: brothers last vigil
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
I have received a letter from my MP today and it seems likely that very soon some progress will be made in this matter.   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Mack,

I spoke on the telephone yesterday to my MP's office and it appears they are about to send "a chaser" to the Authority involved.   One thing which seems to have delayed the matter is that my MP is now a minister and is seldom in the constituency.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Mack,
  A letter received today reports that another "chaser" has been sent by my MP to enquire why no reply has been received by him from the appropriate authority.   There are those who have suggested, that in view of my age, there may be a presumption that the matter could best be solved by my untimely demise.   Surely not?   Take care.   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Mack,

I have now received a letter from the Director General of the CWGC listing the corrections to be made on the headstones and records of Privates Charles Heaton and John Heaton.

In that connection, I am further advised that, mindful that the annual Gallipoli campaign anniversary will be held in April 2019, the CWGC will be replacing the headstones of both soldiers and moreover, the Commission will be forwarding to me photographs of the new headstones.    PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »
Charlie,

The Director General advises that the date of death details for Charles Heaton will be changed to 6/7th August 1915 as per the Death Certificate I provided earlier this year.    I hope too, that they will amend his age particulars which I have pointed out were wrongly quoted on his headstone.   Fingers crossed.  PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
Philip,
Thank you for the update and well done for keeping on the case.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you.   The case continues insofar as the ages of the two Heatons on the Commission's web site are wrong and I would not like new headstones to be set up with those errors.   I have written again to the CWGC in this connection.        My MP advises that he is willing if need be to assist in any similar exercise to correct errors.  But it is very time consuming and not a little expensive.   At the moment, in the matter of time spent on the subject, the Heaton exercise closely rivals the Drummer Willott saga of yesteryear.   Take care.   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2019, 04:44:05 PM »
Charlie,

Following my letter last month to Victoria Wallace, the Director General of the CWGC, I have today received advice from the Commemorations Policy Manager informing that the ages of the Heatons at death to be recorded on their respective headstones will be :-

John Heaton - 28 yrs     &   Charles Heaton - 25 yrs.

These dates are in conflict with the dates given on their respective Death Certs.  i.e.  John aged 27 & Charles aged 24, which I sent to the  Commission.    It would now seem that the Commission does not necessarily accept a casualty's certificate of death as a reliable source of information.       PhilipG.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2019, 03:00:06 AM »
hello Philip
once again you have worked very hard to amend CWGC details using the correct procedures laid down by them and once again they have come up with a obstacle/excuse,out in the field the CWGC do magnificent work but their admin section are a nightmare to deal with,they ask for proof and when its provided,they knock it back.
i,me always drawn to the john[jack] kipling story,there was no proof that jack kipling is the man buried in that grave,but they accepted the evidence put forward,if us mere mortals had come up with that evidence,they would have ignored us

keep up the good work philip

mack

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2019, 11:08:16 AM »
Philip,
Thanks once again for the update, I admire your tenacity in what seems to be an uphill battle with the CWGC.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »
Mack & Charlie,
Thank you for your comments.  It has taken from March 2018 to the end of January 2019 to reach this stage in the exercise.  This has included the assistance of my Member of Parliament, the purchase of two birth certificates and two death certificates.   Altogether, I reckon the total cost has reached £50.     There was some humour in the process.   Prompted by a failure to reply to one of my letters, which included a file of correspondence, I rang the defaulter to be told that it had never been received.  As I had taken the precaution of sending the letter by Special Delivery I said "that's funny I have a signed Post Office receipt signed by a lady at your address."   "Oh" was the reply -"that's me".   You've got to laugh.   PhilipG.