Author Topic: T. Chadwick 9thBn  (Read 7726 times)

timberman

T. Chadwick 9thBn
« on: June 06, 2008, 07:45:07 PM »
On the POW data base there is a Private T. Chadwick of 116 cavendish st, no service number. Is it possible that this is him.

Name:   CHADWICK
Initials:   T
Nationality:   United Kingdom
Regiment/Service:   Manchester Regiment
Unit Text:   9th Bn.
Date of Death:   05/11/1918
Service No:   55761
Additional information:   Son of Tom Chadwick; husband of Edna Chadwick, of 29, St. James' St., Cockbrook, Ashton-under-Lyne.
Casualty Type:   Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference:   Szczypiorno P.O.W. Cem. Mem. 3.
Cemetery:   POZNAN OLD GARRISON CEMETERY

Taken from the Roll of Honour for the 9thBn.
Pte. 55761 TOM CHADWICK. Born Ashton-Under-Lyne. Enlisted at Ashton. Died in France & Flanders 5.11.18.

Is there anyway of knowing how he died, as there are several other Manchesters in the same Cemetery some who died after the 11/11/1918

Thanks for any help.

Timberman

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: T. Chadwick 9thBn
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:55 PM »
sdgw says died, this would mean by accident or (more likely) sickness, probably flu

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

tisgrannie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:40:28 AM »
Hello, if its the 9th Bn will the Colonel know a bit more? neil I was only given the info that is on there from mack. There may be an update someday! Thats what mack is so good at.
There is one or two with queries which I have forwarded to mack I wait to hear from the font of all things POW.
regards
tis

The Colonel

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »
The only Tom Chadwick of the 9th battalion I have mentioned in my notes is...

Published 3rd Nov. 1917.

Mr. & Mrs ALFRED BROADHURST, of 115 Moss Street, Ashton, have received information from the military authorities that their son, Pte. 351671 TOM BROADHURST, of the 2/9th Manchester Regiment, died on October 12th, from wounds received in action. He was hit with a piece of shrapnel in the leg, and after being conveyed to the clearing station died about four hours afterwards. He joined the forces in June 1915, and has been out in France since March this year. He has three brothers in the army, Pte. JOE BROADHURST, in the  Coldstream Guards, Pte. HAROLD BROADHURST and Pte. ALBERT BROADHURST, in the 1/9th Manchester Regiment, and his two half-brothers are also in the army, Pte. TOM CHADWICK, in the 3/9th, and Pte. WRIGHT CHADWICK is in the 16th Cheshire Regiment. Pte. ALBERT BROADHURST is at present in hospital suffering from a fractured knee. He was on board the troopship which was torpedoed in the Mediterranean in January, and was rescued along with a few comrades from a small boat in which they put to sea.

ROLL OF HONOUR.
Pte. 55761 TOM CHADWICK. Born Ashton-Under-Lyne. Enlisted at Ashton. Died in France & Flanders 5.11.18.

The Colonel

timberman

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 07:46:20 PM »
It would seem that there is something wrong here, as the CWGC (where I got my info from) is nothing like what you have said Colonel.
The only thing the same is the service number.

One says he was a POW, another that he died in France and Flanders. Even down to his Parents being different. ???

Thanks for your input anyway.
Neil.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:12:19 PM by timberman »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:47 AM »
It's definately NOT the one The Colonel has info.  That Tom Chadwick brother of Wright Chadwick would have been 29 in 1917

RG13/3783 Folio 13 Page 18
42 Charles Street, Ashton under Lyne
Thomas Chadwick 43
Maria Chadwick    39
Tom Chadwick    13
Alice Chadwick  8
Wright Chadwick 5
Edith Chadwick    1

Maria Chadwick married Alfred Broadhurst in 1910.

There is only one Tom Chadwick on the 1901 Census around the right age with a Dad Tom or Thomas and he is listed as the 1 month old son of Thomas & Eleanor RG13/3701 Folio 90 Page 6

Only 2 MIC's for Tom Chadwicks BUT we really don't know if the "Pte T Chadwick" on the PoWs Database was a Tom or not  :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:24:56 PM by Wendi »
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

timberman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:44 PM »
Thanks Wendi

This only started because I was doing an additional list for a future project and saw him as a POW and then cross referenced with the POW list and then checked on the Colonel's site as he was listed as the 9thBn. Teach me to be nosey ;D
I'll go with the CWGC site one, for my list.

Thanks again for your help.

Neil

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:09:06 PM by timberman »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:50 PM »
No way of putting it right ??? As the SDGW and the CWGC site still say something different.

I think your first instinct is right, and I don't think SDGW and CWGC say different things.......

He went to Theatre of War: France & Flanders, was taken PoW and died having been transported to Poland or am I missing something obvious  :D I often do !!

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

timberman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »
Silly me :-[
your not missing anything ;D
Saw the France and Flanders on the 9thBn roll of honour as place of death and assumed that what it said on the SDGW site.:D  I'm due for a new eye test, better go sooner rather than later. Until then I'll use the magnifying glass in front of the screen. ;D
I have removed it from my post so no one thinks I'm thick ;D To late 128 people have read it :'(

Thanks Wendi

Neil
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:20:49 PM by timberman »

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 09:36:31 PM »
That's OK Neil !

That's what we are here for ~ to discuss ~ and find the true outcome ~ it would not be the first time in my research I could not see the wood for the trees, so don't worry !

It's nice to discuss,

BTW if anyone is interested ???  351960 Thomas Chadwick appears to have 3 MIC's  :o http://www.shrinkurl.org/163/

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 09:38:42 PM »
PS

Tisgrannie et al, do you think we now have enough to add a service number to our PoWs Database?

Wendi

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
ime pretty certain,you guys have got the right man.
i think the age given on the CWGC is wrong.
regarding SDGW,if you check out those who died as POWs,you will find that most are listed as dying in F+F

mack
ps.tis,i got the CD,many thanks,i havent had time to look at it yet[work].

timberman

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:32 PM »
Thanks Mack
 I'll remember about the SDGW site.

Neil

tisgrannie

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 09:57:00 PM »
Hi wendi, consider it done!!
Puns flying around here "timberman" "woods for the trees".
timberman is doing pretty good isn't he.
He's a definite plus on here.
Thanks all of you, its great to see the info emerging from the "trees".
tis
ps glad you got the CD mack. Hope it will open for you.

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
T. Chadwick 9thBn
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 08:01:48 AM »
Hi Tis !

He sure is  ;D  Quite something to be able to add another service number to our PoWs !

Cheers everyone

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:35:19 AM by Wendi »