Author Topic: L/cpl Albert Tommins  (Read 7204 times)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
Re: L/cpl Albert Tommins
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 02:46:51 PM »
I need now to find some regimental insignia-------------any suggestions?
Peter

yes, if you give Sphinx (simon) a little nudge or a pm he may well be able to sort you out
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

oppy

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 03:02:56 PM »
I have just recieved from fleabay a 5th VB cap badge, what else will I need to complete the set ?
Peter

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
I have just recieved from fleabay a 5th VB cap badge, what else will I need to complete the set ?
Peter

:D er well...you've just bought a copy of the wrong badge, sorry ;D  the 5th Volunteer Battalion actually became the 8th battalion in 1910

the 2/5th would have worn a standard 'coat of arms' cap badge like this

with shoulder titles like the one with 5 on in this set

oppy

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »
Nobody loves a smarty-pants :P, I thought that it was a genuine item, :o  ah well, there's one born every minute :'(
Anyone wanna do a swop ;)
Ta
Peter

oppy

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
Thank's so much for puttong me right. As I suggested at the outset of this little search, I am the original numpty and as such I am truly greatful for all the help and advice that the group have offered.
Thank's folks, please don't be offended by my accasional flippancy, it's just part of what makes me, me. :-X :-[
Peter, retired and possibly retarded

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 11:05:48 PM »
 ;D  don't worry peter, i posted with a smile on my face, i am afraid those 5th VB badges along with the 7th batt fleur de lys are the most copied badges of the regiment on ebay

you should be able to pick up  a relatively decent WW1 cap badge for £6-£8, the shoulder titles are a bit more difficult to find but they are around

oppy

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:45 PM »
A BIG thankyou one and all, the lovely Sphinx has rescued me from my bomb hole and enabled me to complete the Tommins part of the family tree. I have placed the 5th VB cap badge back on Ebay.
Ta each
Peter ;D ;D ;D :-*

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 11:32:43 PM »
 ;)  he has his uses  ;D

well done simon!

Peter, are you putting them in a display?  i think we need to see them

oppy

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2007, 11:44:53 PM »
I'll show you mine if you will show me yours lol :D. Yes I do intend to have them mounted, I just need some ideas on how best to display them. I am hoping to get it all done as a Christmas gift for Sue, my wife. If anyone has a blank scroll as a file or knows where I can download one from, I would appreciate it. I have one that I got from Ashton with the named in just a basic pc script, and really I would like to be able to use an official ( or as close as I can ) font to complete it in red.
Regards
Peter
& a bottle of Burgandy

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 12:10:14 AM »
here's mine

re the scroll
hmmm, you can download one from the SDGW cd but it is the same as you have, you could tippex it out ( sounds stupid i know but then the colour won't show through), but then replace the name with a patch

or get a replacement scroll from a dealer, a forum member got one recently from ............

oppy

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »
Ooer, What a lot. I see a Royal corps of Signals cap badge. My father was in the R.C.S, seconded to the 51st Highland Divn, and on to the Canadians. I will get my son to try the tippex / cut & paste method for me, I'm a complete numpty when it comes to juggling on the pc
Peter ::)

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 12:39:54 AM »
 ;D  those bloody signals guys are a bugger to trace, dad was with 42 div, out to france in 39, then north africa, crete, back africa and italy, possibly/probably mainland greece late war

i'm lucky as i have some pics

http://harribobs.smugmug.com/gallery/680072

oppy

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Ooer, What a lot. I see a Royal corps of Signals cap badge. My father was in the R.C.S, seconded to the 51st Highland Divn, and on to the Canadians. I will get my son to try the tippex / cut & paste method for me, I'm a complete numpty when it comes to juggling on the pc
I have managed to sort the scroll all on my own :o

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »
my old man was also in the RCS attatched to the 51st highland div,served in north africa+burma.
mack

oppy

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 05:18:27 PM »
Mine seemed to have spent a lot of time in Austria, sadly he will not speak about the war or his part in it. Before she died, my mother told me that he had been involved in setting the forward communication lines somewhere hot and sandy, later he was dropped with the Canadians as part of a covert force, and was still with them on D day where he was one of two survivors of his group at a forward post near Bayeux ( where the tapestry is). This probably explains his shutting it out.
Peter