Author Topic: 2018 Armistice at Cenotaph  (Read 308 times)

Offline Tim Bell

• Grandad's Journey
2018 Armistice at Cenotaph
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:02:50 PM »
I managed to get 2 tickets of 1,000 for members of the public to attend the Centenary of the Armistice. The blurb tells me the idea is for the public to commemorate family members. For me this means casualties with KORL, MGC & Manchester Regiment Old Contemtible, Alf Ridge. I’m thinking about buying a wreath for the Regiment in general.
The question for the forum is whether it is appropriate for me to buy & wear a Manchester Regiment tie - ideally the Great War City Emblem? I’d hate to offend former members of the Regiment for possibly presenting myself as entitled to wear the tie through Service.  All thoughts welcomed.
Tim
PS TA Service would notionally entitle me to wear an RE tie, but I’d be unhappy doing that.
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
Re: 2018 Armistice at Cenotaph
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 09:04:07 PM »
Tim,
I would personaly not dream of wearing a tie from a regiment I hadn‘t served with. A tie, or anything else for that matter, isn‘t needed to commemorate the dead.

I really don’t understand why you are uncomfortable about wearing a RE tie. Wear your RE tie and be proud of being an ex Sapper.

Charlie

Offline Tim Bell

• Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 12:24:48 AM »
Thanks Charlie,
I appreciate a candid response.
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
Tim,
 Over the years I have attended commemorations at the Menin Gate and Thiepval Memorials on the appropriate days.  I agree with Charlie that it is immaterial what is worn - one's presence is the important thing.  In the event, I wore my RNVR tie at both places, but on formal occasions today I still do so.   I like to think that it is a reminder of my "oppos" who lie in the corner of a foreign field.  Whether or not anyone recognised my tie is another matter.  On one occasion at Thiepval, I wore a relative's medals affixed to my jacket in the place prescribed.   A practice which was quite common.   As the medals' support kept coming adrift and one medal displayed was the MM, I never did that again.     Regards, PhilipG.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 04:19:40 PM »
I would also agree with Charlie and would never wear anything to a regiment or Corp I have never served in. On two occasions I been called a Walter Mitty when I been wearing my medals😱

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:28:37 PM »
I will also be at the Cenotaph this year for the march past so If I see you wearing anything other then a Wedgehead tie I will fill you in  😜 regards Roy ( The Pioneer) 😀