Author Topic: PTE Robert Hughes 1881 1/5th Manchester  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Yosser444

PTE Robert Hughes 1881 1/5th Manchester
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:50:06 PM »
This is my first post but I have been browsing for a couple of days and would just like to say what a fantastic forum this is with people generously giving their knowledge, time and experience.

I would like to find out as much as I can about my grandad Robert Hughes who served in the 1/5 th Manchester.

My grandad survived WW1 but I guess like many soldiers discussed very little about his experiences, so we are in the position that we don’t know very much about his service.

I downloaded his medal records and have deduced that he signed up in Wigan on 6/5/15 and was discharged in 25/1/19. I know he served in Gallipoli and have his Star 1914 - 1915 medal and his British War medal. I think he should have received a Victory medal, it may be that is with someone else or he never received it.

Where I really need some help is that, if possible, I would like to find out as much detail about his service as possible. Specifically I would would like to for find out the following:-

1. After evacuation to Egypt where in Europe did he serve?
2. As well as 1881 he has the number 200316 what is the second number?
3. For the Victory medal he has the entry H/1/104B30 and for the star H/1/14. How do interpret these?
4. There are also page numbers also referenced, does his mean that there may be further information available or is this related to documents lost by the fire in the 1940’s?
5. Is it possible to get much more information than the medal records or is that it?

Sorry for the long first post but if you could point me in right direction I will be very grateful.

Many Thanks,

Chris Hughes

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: PTE Robert Hughes 1881 1/5th Manchester
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:10:34 AM »
Hello Chris, welcome to the forum.

The battalion remained in Egypt till March 1917 when it was transferred to France.

All TF soldiers were renumbered in March 1917 and your Grandfather was allocated the number 200316.

The „H“ numbers on the Medal index Cards are a reference number to the Medal roll, the page numbers which you have mentioned are the page number within that roll. The 1914/15 Star is on a different roll to the War and Victory Medals, thus the 2 H numbers. He was entitled to both the War and Victory Medals so the Victory Medal has gone astray.

He did not enlist on 06.05.1915, it is the date he arrived in Gallipoli, which is indicated by the code 2b Balkans.

There is a small overview of the battalion's history here http://themanchesters.org/5th%20batt.htm

The battalion’s War Diary for its time in France is available on Ancestry or can be downloaded from the NA here http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7354459

The War Diary for Gallipoli is only available on Ancestry.

Neither is likely to mention your Grandfather by name but they will give an idea of what he experienced.

Charlie
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:13:44 AM by charlie »

Offline Keith Brannen

• Sgt James Brannen 35507
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 02:29:00 PM »
For a broader overview of the action of the 1/5th Manchesters (who were in the 127th Brigade of the 42nd Division) you can also access and download the history of the 42nd Division here:
http://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark:/81055/vdc_100002230933.0x000002#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=-1629%2C26%2C5097%2C2635

Offline Yosser444

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Hi Charlie,

Thank you very much for the information you supplied in your post. It is very helpful and has given me some further insight into my Grandad’s war years,

I have downloaded the War Diary for France and found it very informative. As you suggested I am trying to get a picture of where my Grandad was and what he faced on a day-to-day basis.

I will look into getting access to the Galiipoli diaries through Ancestry. Do you know if the diaries include the time they where in Egypt between Gallipoli and France or are there a third set of war diaries?

Kbrannen - Thanks very much for this it helps in pulling all the various stands together into an overview.

Thanks again for your help with this it is very much appreciated.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »
Chris,

The 5th (Territorial) Battalion Manchester Regiment

The above title was assumed by the battalion on the 1st April 1908.   Its HQ was at Wigan, with detachments at Leigh, Atherton and Patricroft.   I have a small sized book - a reprint- entitled "The Manchesters".   It was written by a Captain G.L.Campbell in 1916, in which brief details (3 pages) of the battalion's service in Gallipoli are described until the time it was detailed to relieve the 29th Division.   

I note from the internet that copies are available at a price of around £12.       PhilipG.

Offline Yosser444

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:29:38 PM »
Hi PhilipG, thanks for that, my Grandad was born in in Atherton but lived most of his life in Leigh. The book you mention sounds interesting and I will keep an eye out for it on the internet.

Thanks for your help,

Chris

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »
Chris,
There is a War Diary for the battalion‘s time in Egypt but as far as I am aware it has not been digitized and is only available to view at the NA.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557749

Charlie

Offline Yosser444

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 12:09:06 AM »
Thanks Charlie that is useful information, that maybe is something for the future as you have all have given me plenty of articles and information to review.

Thanks to you all for generously giving your knowledge, I have started to read through it all and what a moving story it tells of bravery and fortitude.

I plan to research my Grandad’s history as much as I can. If I find anything that can contribute to your forum I will post it.

Thanks very much,

Chris