Author Topic: HMS Dragonfly and the 1st Manchesters  (Read 1777 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: HMS Dragonfly and the 1st Manchesters
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2018, 07:29:27 AM »
themonsstar,

Fascinating. Well done.   PhilipG.

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »
I spent 10 years going to kew looking at files of the Manchester Regiment and it's predecessors so I have lot's files on my harddrive. So I post them for your enjoyment.

Roy

Offline Drofseh

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
I think that the name Horage on the list  can be dismissed as having been a ministry clerk's effort to spell Le Page.  There was certainly only one RQMS and that was Le Page.
This leaves 22 names on the list. Not shown are Lieutenant Hesford, Cpl Harry Bostock, L/Cpl J Taylor 43 and L/Cpl R Taylor 34.
This totals 26 Manchesters. Not included are three men of the RAOC attached to the battalion.  Total 29 aboard Dragonfly plus numerous others and a large native crew.

Hesford, Bostock and the two Taylors all survived initially.  Hesford managed to avoid capture but the other three were captured and eventually  died as PoW.

Hello all, I am the grandson of Lt Hesford.
He swam from the sinking Dragonfly to the Grasshopper (which had been deliberately beached), was captured along with the survivors of that ship, and was a POW for the remainder of the war.
Our family history has one of the other 4 survivors of the sinking also surviving being a POW, but I don't know if it was Bostock or one of the Taylors.

If you'd be interested in more information about my grandad let me know and I'll provide what I can.

Attached is a photo of him, I believe from after the end of the war.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
Drofseh,

Welcome and thank you, too, for your information and photograph.   In the interests of research, I think it would certainly be of value if you were able to add some further background details and I look forward to reading them.    Regards, PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 02:04:44 PM »
Looking at this officer's medal ribbons can anyone suggest what they would be?   PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 07:49:09 PM »
Philip,
I think the colours of the ribbons have been distorted by the type of film used. I am pretty sure he is wearing the ribbons of the 1939-45 Star, Pacific Star and Defence Medal.

The War Medal was a later addition, only being instituted in August 1945, the Stars and Defence Medal had all been instituted by May 1945. I have been unable to establish when the ribbon for the War Medal became available to wear, my father who was demobbed in 1946 never wore his in uniform, perhaps your experience was different.

Lt Hesford was commissioned into the Manchesters on 20.04.1940 and relinquished his commission on 09.11.1948.

Charlie

Offline Drofseh

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
My father is out of town right now but when he gets back we're going to put our heads together and see what we can come up with.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 12:51:05 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you.   I'm sure you are right.   I do remember in 1944(?) advice that a medal would be produced styled 1939-1943 star and that it seemed to me that I would qualify.  In the event I never applied for my medals.    (Something to do with the loss of my cousin - a straight AG in a Lancaster - my mates, school chums and colleagues etc. and the fact that my wife was determined to forget the war even though she had been a nurse.)    Philip G.

Offline Drofseh

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:52 AM »
Alright, I've been going through the family archives and have written up a post to share.

It's about 12k characters. Is there a character limit for posts?

I've had a look at his medals and they are the Pacific Star, 1939–1945 Star and War Medal, although for some reason the War Medal and Pacific Star are hanging on each others ribbons.

Cpl R Taylor was the other escape party member to survive both the sinking and captivity.

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
It's about 12k characters. Is there a character limit for posts?

There is a limit but in the past I have copied and pasted 1 side of A4 into a post, which worked. Hope that helps