Author Topic: Can a soldiers number indicate, roughly, when he joined up?  (Read 302 times)

Offline P.Ashworth

Can a soldiers number indicate, roughly, when he joined up?
« on: December 06, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
Good evening Listers,
I am Peter Ashworth, posting my first message to the group as I am curious to know when my grandfather, also Peter Ashworth, was called up to the regiment.
His number was 302245 and his identity bracelet indicates "1/6 Manchr. Regt."
I have just enjoyed reading the book by John Hartley, "6th Battalion The Manchester Regiment in The Great War".
Thank you.
Peter Ashworth

Offline Tim Bell

• Grandad's Journey
Re: Can a soldiers number indicate, roughly, when he joined up?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
Hi Peter,
The Medal Roll shows your Grandfather originally went overseas with 1/8th Bttn and his Index Card shows he did not receive a 1914/15 Star, showing he didn't serve abroad before 1/1/1916.  His number 302245 was issued from12/1916 - 3/1917 which possibly suggests he didn't go overseas before this time (supposition), or his earlier short form number may have been shown on the records.  Purely guess work from the number sequence suggests Spring 1916 for enlistment.  Further guess to suggest this may have been the Derby Scheme.
The transfer from1/8th to 1/6th Bttn may have followed sickness or wounds - more guesswork.
I can't find a Service Record to provide more data.

Welcome and cheers
Tim
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline Tim Bell

• Grandad's Journey
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
Pte 302244 William Hughes was killed on 22/12/1917 serving with 1/8th Bttn.  His War Gratuity of £7 indicates enlistment in November 1915.

Pte 302248 George Harold Cooper of 1/8th Bttn died of wounds 12/4/1918.  His £14 War Gratuity indicates March 1915 enlistment.

I think this shows that the sequence of the 1917 numbers is not reliable to indicate similar date of enlisting.  This means my guess work on March 1916 enlistment and Derby Scheme is probably wrong and I have no clue...  Can someone else advise on this bit (not the clue element)? 
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:57:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter,
In the absence of a 4 digit number I would guess at an enlistment date on or after March 1917.

Your Grandfathers year of birth may help.

Charlie

Offline P.Ashworth

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
Thank you Tim and Charlie, that is very helpful.
My grandfather was born on the 29th August 1895 at 32, Queen Street, Bradford, Manchester. He was a tram guard, rising to tram driver and eventually bus driver for Manchester Corporation Transport Department. His long service certificate indicates he did 49yrs service ending on his 65th birthday of 29th August 1960. Maybe he was in a semi-reserved occupation until the lady drivers took over, releasing the men drivers to go to war? He did mention going from Egypt to France/Belgium and not having adequate clothing for the differing climates. He was also a batman, but I do not recall for which officer. His wife, my grandmother did tell me that shortly before he died on 29th January 1963, he took a piece of shrapnel out of his left leg that had been catching on his trouser leg!
*>))

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:47:59 PM »
enlistment date would have been 9th December 1915

mack

Offline P.Ashworth

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
Thank you Mack, that does sound positive!
*>))
Best wishes,
Peter.