Author Topic: Please Help 12th Bn Manchester Regiment Pt Henry, George Lodge No. 27986  (Read 3732 times)

Abarton

Hello all,

I am looking for more information on my Great Great Uncle, who perished during the assault on the Quadrangle Support Trench during the battle of the Somme on July-07th.
Not sure if a photo exists of him or any of his pals.

I do know he is commemorated at Thiepval memorial.

We do have a letter from him to my great grandmother before he was deployed to France. He also mentioned that his father, My great great grandfather was abroad in the transporters. Not sure what that means.
I will try to get an image of the letter up for everyone.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:49:14 PM by Abarton »

Abarton

Re: 12th Bn Manchester Regiment Pt Henry, George Lodge No. 27986
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »
Here is the letter sent to my Great Grandmother.
She was a Benardo child who went to live in Canada in 1914 or 15.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: Please Help 12th Bn Manchester Regiment Pt Henry, George Lodge No. 27986
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
Hello Abarton welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting the letter.

Your GG Uncle enlisted on 23.08.1915 and initialy served with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion and was posted to France to join the 12th Bn on 23.12.1915. You are lucky his service record has survived and is available to view on Ancestry.

Among other documents in the service record is a letter from Cpl T Dean informing Pte Lodge‘s sister of her brother’s death.

It also contains the details of your GG Grandfather. He was 21767 Pte Robert Lodge, 29 Labour Company, 597 Coy MT, Army Service Corps.

Charlie

Abarton

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »
 Thank you so much for the information Charlie.
This helps a great deal and yes I feel quite lucky that his record survived the fire.
Also thank you for finding out my Great  Great Grandfathers name ans record.
Would you know if there would be any hope of a photo. Or where best to tey and search?

Cheers,

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »
The best place to search for a photo of HG Lodge would be the archives of the Manchester newspapers which are searchable online here
https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
Abarton,

Just outside Contalmaison and off the road leading from Mametz, past Bottom Wood and Quadrangle Wood is the village cemetery.   At the far end of that cemetery is the 12th Manchesters Memorial, which commemorates those of the battalion who lost their lives during the Great War.     The Memorial is somewhat remote and it was only by chance that I found it.

As regards the attack of the 7th July 1916, for various reasons it failed and the battalion's casualties for All Ranks numbered 555, amongst which was that of the CO Lt. Col. Harrison who was wounded.  PhilipG.

Abarton

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
I was able to finally put a name to a face when I found out that my grandparents had a picture of Henry at Christmas time last year. It was emotional to say the least.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:34:33 PM »
Thanks for posting the photo, glad to hear you found one.
Charlie