Author Topic: Grandfather in WW1  (Read 457 times)

Offline Cameronian

Grandfather in WW1
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
Hello

On another forum I recently established that my grandfather, Arthur Walmsley Bagshaw, was in the Manchesters, based on the attached photo (that's him, second from right). I was kindly given the information that he was Pte 3081 in the 6th (Reserve) Btn (is that the same as 2/6th? - sorry I'm new to services designations!). I assume this photo was during training in the UK in early 2015, mainly because I was told that on 22 July 2015 he was released from the army to take up civil work with the Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF) in Farnborough. This (sort of) matches family anecdotes that he was in the RFC, possibly due to him working with aircraft or because of confusion over the initials RAF. Needless to say he never talked to me about his WW1 activity, just his WW2 role as a fire/air raid warden around Oldham/Rochdale and the reservoirs on the moors above.

How he felt about being released for a different kind of war work I'll never know. I presume this is because of some engineering bent and grammar school education - he came from a mill-fitting family in New Mills and eventually managed the carding floor in a cotton mill in Heywood.

If anyone can shed any more light on the photo or the Btn concerned I'd be very grateful.

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
Re: Grandfather in WW1
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:41:21 PM »
Hello Cameronian, welcome to the forum.

The photo is much much to small at 3.36 Kb to see anything, can you repost the photo at a better resolution anything up to 1Mb is fine.

Charlie

Offline Cameronian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
Apologies, I didn't realise that was just a thumbnail version. Hope this is better!

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
Thanks for reposting the photo.
From what remains of his service record he remained on the battalion’s strength till he was discharged in 1919. He was renumbered in 1917 and was allocated the number 250788. He would have joined the 2/6th Battalion as the 1/6th was already in Egypt when he enlisted.

Charlie