Author Topic: Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial ?.  (Read 10133 times)

John A

Re: Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial ?.
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »
That explains it thats why there is a lot of names on it.War memorials were meant to be for a place for families to grieve after the decision early in the war that the bodies of the fallen were to remain near where they fell.The history channels are good late at night ;D I thought that he should be remembered near to his home.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 04:10:18 PM »
john.
did your cousin take a photo of his grave,tis will be glad to add it to her war graves memorial site on our forum,and any biographical info that you choose to add to it.
that would be a perfect memorial for him,he would be amongst all the other manchesters and be seen by all those who visit our forum,and our members.
if his name had been on a local memorial,it would only have given his name anyway.
anyone visiting our site will then know who john burke is.

i am going to the library on friday,i will see if i can find his picture.
mack

John A

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
Thanks Mack that would be good I,ve got a picture of his grave somewhere it was my Grandmothers I will try and get it scanned.When I get chance I will do some research with the 1901 census and find out his age it would be nice to put that on.

tisgrannie

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »
Hi I do hope you find it. It will be an honour to post it on our site.
tisgrannie

John A

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »
I,ve not found the photo of his grave yet but I,ve had a word with my Mother ,My cousin who went to France is in touch with his Granddaughter. To see if they have a picture of him so I can get a copy and put it on here.

maggie 12

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
I have photographed all the names on the openshaw memorial, if any wants a copy just say. I have checked the names for st cross Clayton, my great uncle is on that and sorry to say your man isn't on that

http://www.billnkaz.demon.co.uk/clayton.htm

kind regards
margaret

John A

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »
I didnt think of checking St Cross. The family are catholic and I just went for the local ones or catholic church ones .His wife and daughter who moved out to Australia arent so .Until I got info off my mother who is the eldest one left I didnt know much and she only tells me in dribs and drabs

slob

Re: Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2007, 11:22:47 AM »
Is there any information about memorials in Stockport?
There is a family story about a soldier called Cook/Cooke who had an award for gallantry and is/was on a memorial at Stockport.
The actual award is unclear, but seems to get more important with time.
I have no other information at all about him, other that he was connected to the family as an unnamed father.

Cheers,
    Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
this is the only one i know on stockport memorial who won a gallantry medal
details, stockport advertiser 17-5-1918[with photo]
sgt robert cook
10th cheshire regt
age 22
parents lived at 15 park st,stockport
worked at messrs buntings+co,carr mills stockport
killed 11-4-18
two of his brothers were in the army and one in the navy
he won the DCM at le toquet on 15th april 1917,it was gazetted on 18th july,1917,he was a lance corporal at the time.

mack

slob

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 09:54:27 PM »
Thanks, that's great. The story is, that it is the man on the memorial - that could be wishful thinking though.
I'll ask my mother if any of the information rings a bell.

Dave

slob

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »
Yes - Robert Cook is the one we were looking for, I have his service records now, with lots of info.

Thanks for the help,
     Dave

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 06:25:05 PM »
does it have his DCM citation?
“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

slob

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 07:47:14 PM »
There is no document as such, but there is a brief description of his action on one of the pages.
Apparently ,the girl was conceived while he was on home leave and he was killed shortly after returning to the front. It's not clear whether his family knew about the child at the time.
I have just been told that the girl's husband has been in contact with the family recently, and they have his medals and documentation.

Cheers
   Dave

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2007, 11:36:51 AM »
dave.
do they have his picture
mack

slob

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
I don't know exactly what they have - I would imagine the soldier's family would.
The soldier's daughter was my mother's best friend in WW2 and I grew up knowing her as an "Auntie", as you did in those days. She died a couple of years ago, and I only heard the story about her real father a few weeks ago.
As these things can be rather sensitive and I haven't seen the family for 20 years now, I just looked him up out of interest, and when I had the details asked my mother whether she thought they would like to have them. It turns out that they had the details already, and it doesn't seem to be a sensitive issue any more.
If there is a photo available, I'm sure my mother would like to see it. She has moved away from Manchester and doesn't see them now, just phone contact.

Cheers,
    Dave