Author Topic: Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial ?.  (Read 10134 times)

John A

Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial ?.
« on: November 08, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »
I,m trying to find info on my Great Uncle who died in 1916. I found a website that listed the war memorials where members of the Manchesters are listed . But now I cant find it again.He was  Service no 25673 Private John Burke he died on 3/3/1916 I know where he is buried. But when I went to Philips Park Cemetery memorial the closest to where he lived .Which I believe was Wilson St Bradford Manchester.Hes not there .Now the site I found said there was a John Burke on the memorial at Openshaw cemetery. I cant find this place.I know that Openshaw now borders Wilson St so it could .Anyone any ideas  ?.

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Want to find out if someone is on a war memorial ?.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:50:10 AM »
he may be on the war memorial on the corner of lees st+abbey hey lane,openshaw.
mack

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 09:24:41 AM »
Name:     BURKE
Initials:    J
Nationality:    United Kingdom
Regiment/Service:    Manchester Regiment
Unit Text:    22nd Bn.
Date of Death:    03/03/1916
Service No:    25673
Casualty Type:    Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference:    I. D. 12.
Cemetery:    ETRETAT CHURCHYARD

resided Bradford, died of wounds

“It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply
  to serve as a warning to others."

John A

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 11:09:23 AM »
Thats the man Harribobs.My cousin went out last year to find his grave.She said it was a lovely quiet place.I wish I could have spoke my mothers elder brothers and sisters about this as they might have had more info.My mother did say that at one time there were small memorials at the end of some streets for the fallen but with the streets being knocked down I wonder what happened to these.I will go and have a look at Lees St see if his name is there . I believe there is a John Burke on the memorial at Metro Vicks .I dont know if that memorial is still there either.Although I cant confirm if he worked there before the war.

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 11:22:10 AM »
john

indeed most of the street shrines have gone, there are still afew around like this one in stretford

i suspect the metro vickers memorial still exists or if not there is a record of it, i am sure i was discussing it with some one quite recently (MACK?)

names on memorials don't follow any set rules, they were quite often by invitation sometimes by subscription

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »
if you are looking for the john burke on the metro vickers memorial,then you need to get the register for the british westinghouse company,theres a copy at manchester library,metro vicks were part of this firm.the register gives personal details of former employees
mack

John A

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »
I will try that later thanks .Just had a drive to the Lees st monument his name is not on there.I was wondering if there was a memorial round Grey Mare Lane as it was the centre of activity around Bradford ,Clayton and Beswick.

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:43:31 PM »
I believe that the book in question is titled Register of ex-apprentices and ex- trainees of Metropolitan Vickers.  Tameside Local Studies Library acquired a copy recently. A John Burke is mentioned but he was an apprentice in 1916.  There are also a couple of other Burkes.

The MV memorial which used to stand within the main HQ building at Old Trafford is now located in what I am told is the Local Studies building located in Trafford Park near to what is now a little shopping area called Village Circle and the large old Victorian Hotel on First Avenue. The building may go under another name but is something similar.

I am told that the memorial is well worth looking at.
Robert

John A

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
Thats great info thanks.I think we can forget the J Burke at Metro Vicks then My Great Uncle died March 1916.He was married with a child when he died.CWGC doesnt give his age at time of death.I will have to search census records for him.I know he lived on Windermere St Manchester I dont think it there any more

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 05:13:34 AM »
john.
if you go on the manchester library online image collection,you will find a picture of windemere st.
mack

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:05:20 PM »
 i did find something interesting but unfortunately won't help you John

but on the MLFHS site there is a facility to search for names on war memorials

go to http://www.mlfhs.org.uk/  and in the top right corner, there's a link

Manchester War Memorials
Click Here for Details

that will take to to a search page

chris

John A

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 12:28:22 PM »
It really seems as though his name is not on any of the local memorials in his home area .The one at Philips Park would be the one .But I dont think they will ever put it on.Its a shame the family never had somewhere to go and grieve .I know his brothers and sisters are gone now but there are still enough members of the family who care.Just checked the war memorials site for my dads cousin who died in the second world war and his name isnt there either .Did families have to put names forward or did they go off records of casualties.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 12:31:18 PM by John A »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »
theres no war memorial at phillips park.
many folks didnt want to add their names to war memorials,some preferred to inscribe them on family graves.

mack

John A

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 02:28:43 PM »
As you go in through the Main gate at the corner of Briscoe Lane and Alan Turing way .There is the memorial there

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 03:11:32 PM »
As you go in through the Main gate at the corner of Briscoe Lane and Alan Turing way .There is the memorial there
aaah i know which one you mean john,thats the screen wall inside the cemetery,thats only for those who are buried in the cemetery,or who are buried in local cemeteries that no longer exist.

mack