Author Topic: Search Photo of Brigadier General G. C. WILLIAMS Commanding the 199th Brigade  (Read 2219 times)

Operator

Hello everyone,

For my memorial work, I am looking for a photograph of Brigadier-General (in 1918) G. C. WILLIAMS (probably Guy Charles), commanding the 199th Infantry Brigade of the Manchester Regiment.
On November 11, 1918, the day of the armistice, he was with us in Belgium, In Sivry.

Can you help me please.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Bernard

Offline charlie

• Administrator

Operator

Hello Charlie,

Great!
I hope this is GC Williams Brigadier-General in 1918.
This photo dates from 1934, 16 years after the end of the war, this officer seems to me still young. Is it possible that there may be two general G.C Williams?
Is it possible to know the year of birth of Sir G. C. Williams and an outline of his military career in order to be certain?

Thank you for your help.
Best regards,
Bernard

Operator

I found this Charlie: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Williams_(British_Army_officer)

Sir G. C. Williams was born in 1881, is it possible that he was a brigadier-general in 1918?
What do you think of Charlie?

Thank you for your opinion.
Bernard

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Bernard,
He is the only one I can find. His rank in 1918 was Major and Brevet Lt.Col and Temporary Brigadier General. He would have reverted to his substansive rank of Major after the war was over. He was 39 in 1918 and promotion was quicker during the war albeit in this case only to a temporary rank.

Charlie

Operator

Charlie,

Thank you very much for your analysis, so it was G. C. Williams in 1918.

Best regards,
Bernard