Author Topic: 2nd Lt. Edward Fox Dyke Acland  (Read 3434 times)

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: 2nd Lt. Edward Fox Dyke Acland
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »
Philip,
I think thats an accurate summary. For what ever reason Mr Acland is hard to pin down in the LG. I found it impossible to find his entries using the Gazette website, I could only find the entries using "google", even then his promotions to F/Lt and Sqn Ldr have remained elusive.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:22 AM »
Charlie,

Thank you.  I'm sure we would be delighted if, in due course, our member Eleri, could give us a brief note as to what RAF Records report upon this brave officer's service.    PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 12:48:37 PM »
Eleri,

My use of the words - "this brave officer"- is based upon the battle experiences he must have endured whilst with the 1st battalion.  Similarly, those experiences undertaken when a Balloon Officer.   In this connection, I refer to a piece of research re RFC balloon operation relating to the 20th August 1916 not far from Beaumont Hamel.  It concerns a music hall artist of great charm, well known to Raymond Asquith, the Prime Minister's son and to Lady Diana Manners (later Lady Diana Cooper).  He was Captain Basil Hallam Radford of No. 1 Army Kite Balloon Section.

His kite balloon was airborne at about 6000 feet.   On board with him was 2nd Lt. Moxon.  Suddenly the balloon broke free from its winch cable and began to drift towards enemy lines.  Moxon took to his parachute and jumped to safety, Radford sitting on the rim of the basket watching Moxon's parachute open.   What took place next  is not clear.  The Brigade Medical Officer considered that Radford's death was probably caused by getting caught in the parachute's lines as he jumped clear of the basket causing him to be strangled.

It so happened that Raymond Asquith saw what took place and wrote to Lady Diana reporting, somewhat casually, that he was able to identify the body by means of Radford's cigarette case.

I have visited Radford's grave at Couin British Cemetery on several occasions.  PhilipG.

Offline eleri

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 06:21:07 PM »
Thank you Phillip for the clear resume of my Grandfather's military career. Flying in a balloon in such a dangerous place, must have been terrifying indeed and your story relating to Captain Hallam is most poignant and demonstrates this.

This forum has been so very helpful thank you everyone :-)

I will certainly let you know if I do find anything of interest on contradictory in his RAF record.

A little piece of me wonders if his change to the RAF is related to his brother Wilfred who was in the RAF in the first World War and was decorated with both the Distinguished Flying Cross and The Air force Cross but then died tragically in (of all things) a civilian Flying accident in 1937.

Thank you all again and I will be in touch with RAF information.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »

Before the commencement of WW2, he joined the RAF, being commissioned as a Pilot Officer on the 16th May 1939, carrying out duties concerning Admin. and "Special Duties".  On the 9th September 1939 he was promoted to the rank of Flying Officer.  Presumably he was later raised to the rank of Flight Lieutenant and it is understood that he reached the rank of Squadron Leader, finally leaving the RAF on the 10th February 1954.

Could the reason that his promotions to Flt/Lt and Sqdn/Ldr be that he was on "Special Duties"? Hopefully Eleri will find out from his service record.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2017, 12:50:18 PM »
Cliff,

As you remark, we trust sight of his RAF service record will answer some interesting questions.   In the meantime, quite a bit has been achieved regarding Squadron Leader Acland's military career, including his connection with Maintenance Command which surely must warrant an appointment of that rank.   PhilipG.