Author Topic: Lieutenant F.Hayes M.C. Manchester Regt.  (Read 229 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Lieutenant F.Hayes M.C. Manchester Regt.
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:59:42 AM »
This officer was attached to the 10th Bn. Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, a battalion which was disbanded in February 1918.  The battalion's history states that he was still serving with the battalion in February 1918.  However, some time after that date he must have been serving with another unit for he is recorded as being a POW and subsequently being repatriated on the 14th December 1918.

Is it possible to confirm that the Lieutenant was commissioned into the Manchester Regiment and if so to what battalion, please?    I would mention that no date is given for his capture, although I sense that this could have been the 22nd March 1918.   PhilipG.

Offline sphinx

Re: Lieutenant F.Hayes M.C. Manchester Regt.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »
He was in the 7th (TF)Bn.

regards

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »
Sphinx,

Once again thank you.   PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:29 PM »
Philip,
Frank Hayes MC 7th Bn is not F Hayes MC 10/Loyals. There would appear to be at least two F Hayes' who's records seem to be mixed up.

Frank Hayes 7th Bn was promoted to T/Capt on 29.05.1915 and seconded to the MGC on 14.03.1916. He remained seconded for the rest of the war and into peacetime being appointed as an Adjutant in August 1918. He returned to the Manchesters as a Major when the MGC was being wound down. His MiC records that he was on a list of exonerated officers but no explanation is given. The Red Cross records do not list a F Hayes in the Manchesters or MGC.

The only F Hayes I can find in the Loyals is A/Capt Frank Hayes, formerly 13220 Loyals. He was captured 22.03.1918 at Hesbecourt. Unfortunately the Red Cross records do not record which battalion.

Lt F Hayes 10/Loyals could well be the Captain mentioned above but as yet I have no proof.

Charlie

MiCs courtesy of Ancestry

Offline timberman

• Administrator
  • you will not always get the answer you want
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 10:26:15 PM »
 There was a 2nd Lt F Hayes in the 16th Bn
 he joined them on the 1st of Aug 1917.
 He was taken POW on the 21st March 1918.
 and repatriated in Dec 1918.

Name:   F Hayes
Regiment:   16th Battalion. Manchester Regiment
Date Missing:   21 Mar 1918
Repatriation Date:   Dec 1918
Record Number:   3832
Section:   Western Theatre of Operations.

The F Hayes in the 7th as well as the MC
he was also MID twice.

1)  Lt (temp capt) F Hayes Manchester Regiment
Territorial Force MID London Gazette 13/7/16 page 6950.

2)  Lt (temp capt) F Hayes Manchester Regiment
Territorial Force MID London Gazette 6/7/17 page 6769

Timberman

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:36:57 AM »
Thanks Timberman,
My mistake, I should have added "with the exception of 2/Lt Fred Hayes" or the like. Fred Hayes is listed in the PoW database.

Charlie

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
10/Loyals became 15 Entrenching Bn on disbandment. The Bn was heavily involved in support of 66th Div near Roisel on 22nd March 1918. Unfortunately there isn't a War Diary for them to help trace movements of Officers.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 03:48:43 PM »
Thank you.  PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
Philip,
I hope I can bring a bit more clarity to this matter, I think the confusion is down to a nearly 100 year old clerical error.

As you will be aware officer PoWs were required to explain the circumstances of their capture on repatriation. Often, but not always, an entry was made on their MiC that their name was on an "exonerated officers list" to record that the circumstances were honourable. The Officer would then be entitled to his medals.

"Exonerated Officers list" has, I believe, been entered on the MiC of Capt Hayes, 7th Bn, by mistake instead of on the MiC for Capt Hayes, Loyals, giving rise to the belief that Capt Hayes, 7th Bn, was also attached to the Loyals.

There is only one Frank Hayes recorded as a PoW by both the Red Cross and the list of Officer PoWs. Capt Hayes, Loyals, is the PoW recorded by the Red Cross, his address on his MiC is the same as on his RC index card.

After looking at all the Gazette entries for F and Frank Hayes there is only one F Hayes, Loyals, which would indicate the Captain PoW and Lt MC are one and the same person.

Charlie
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:32:43 AM by charlie »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
Charlie,

Thank you for your perseverance in solving this confusing matter. Very much appreciated.  PhilipG.