Author Topic: Lt Geoffrey Fildes Potts 17th Batallion kia 23-4-1917  (Read 8507 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lt Geoffrey Fildes Potts 17th Batallion kia 23-4-1917
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2017, 11:31:01 AM »
Jamie,

As you will know, on the afternoon of the 1st July 1916 the 20th Manchesters went on the attack on the Bois Francais (Fricourt) front.    Sassoon's battalion, the 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers was in support - Sassoon called them the "Flintshire Fusiliers".    As regards Sassoon, he was left out of the battle, but was able to watch the fighting (and later comment upon it) from a high piece of ground overlooking the battlefield.

His eye-witness account of the Manchesters' attack is very interesting and mentions the sad death of Colonel Lewis the Manchesters' CO.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
Pte. T. Sandham Manchester Regt & Pte. P.Carter Green Howards both died 23rd April 1917.

I refer to the photograph of the headstone relating to the above named soldiers.

Comment was made in respect of some single headstones carrying details of two casualties.   I first saw this practice some years ago at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt - L'Abbe.  For an explanation of this method of commemoration, may I recommend a visit to the CWGC web site relating to this cemetery in respect of multiple burials and the need to carve regimental badges on the cloister wall?   PhilipG.

Jamieguest

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
Phillip.

Thanks for all the information Phillip.  Most of it is new to me as I've only started researching the Manchesters in the last few weeks, though I have known about Geoffrey Fildes' involvement for several years.   I knew nothing about Sassoon's service but obviously was aware of him and Owen.    The whole Arras campaign seems to be very little known and I've got a book about it on my Fathers day present list.   I'll have a look at the CWGC site about the multiple graves.

Thanks again.

Jamie