Author Topic: Information abourt fallen Soldiers of the Manchester Regiment during Battles in  (Read 556 times)

Offline Patte62

• Research WW1 soldiers in Belgium & North of France
Hi everyone,

I'm living in Belgium and the Great War is about 40 years a passion (or must I say 'an obsession').  I've visited the most of the CWG Cemeteries in Belgium and the North of France, also Memorials, several events and also the other Cemeteries (Belgian, French, American and German). 

In this period I've met a lot of Family Members of fallen soldiers in these countries, and with some of them a very close friendship.  I try also to guide them trough the administration and research in Belgium where the soldiers were K.I.A. and to research the spots in wich the Battles took place.  At this moment I'm helping out some Familie Members of fallen Soldiers during the Battle of Messines and the 3rd Battle of Ypres, also known as the Battle of Passchendaele.  I'm also a Volunteer for the Remembering event in October 2017 @ Tyne Cot Cemetery in Zonnebeke (Belgium).  There will be a special event on the Cemetery to Remember the Battle of Passchendaele.

For the moment I'm searching more intel about the following Soldiers:

N° 203379 - Private Harold Holland - 18th Bn. Manchester Regiment - KIA on 31st July 1917 - Remembered @ Menin Gate Memorial Zonnebeke

N° 24722 - Private Robert Oldfield -  19th Bn. Manchester Regiment -KIA on 22nd June 1917 - Buried @ Perth Cemetery (China Wall) Zillebeke

N° 351856 - Private Harry Senior - 2nd/9th Bn. Manchester Regiment - KIA on 11th October 1917 - Remembered @ Tyne Cot Memorial Zonnebeke

You can Always contact me also, if you need help in your research of a relative who felt in Belgium during the Great War.

Patrick  ;)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:30:19 PM by Patte62 »
Patrick Michiels

Administrator FB-group 'Eerbetoon aan onze Soldaten uit WO1'

patrick.wwrememberance@gmail.com

Offline timberman

• Administrator
  • you will not always get the answer you want
Hi Patrick

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your offer
of help.

Timberman

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
hiya Patrick
theres some mystery surrounding pte harry senior,hes reported to have died of wounds at the 2nd Anzac corps dressing station on 11th October 1917,this medical unit was at brandhoek,the medical units in this location at the time were burying the dead in the new military cemetery No3,which is a mystery how pte senior became missing,the cemetery was fairly safe from artillery fire so theres no question of his grave being destroyed
resided with his wife Elizabeth at 24 princess st,dukinfield,his parents joseph+martha lived at No 28

203379 Harold Holland
worked as a overlooker at eckersleys mills,wigan
resided with his wife Elizabeth at 15 sovereign st,wigan
parents lived at 37 frog lane,wigan
there was a photo of him in the wigan observer on 1st December 1917,if you contact wigan local studies,they will be able to help you with this

24722 Robert oldfield
resided with his wife maria at 28 sunnyside st,Salford

mack

Offline Patte62

Hi Patrick

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your offer
of help.

Timberman

Thanks 'Timberman'  ;)
Patrick Michiels

Offline Patte62

hiya Patrick
theres some mystery surrounding pte harry senior,hes reported to have died of wounds at the 2nd Anzac corps dressing station on 11th October 1917,this medical unit was at brandhoek,the medical units in this location at the time were burying the dead in the new military cemetery No3,which is a mystery how pte senior became missing,the cemetery was fairly safe from artillery fire so theres no question of his grave being destroyed
resided with his wife Elizabeth at 24 princess st,dukinfield,his parents joseph+martha lived at No 28

203379 Harold Holland
worked as a overlooker at eckersleys mills,wigan
resided with his wife Elizabeth at 15 sovereign st,wigan
parents lived at 37 frog lane,wigan
there was a photo of him in the wigan observer on 1st December 1917,if you contact wigan local studies,they will be able to help you with this

24722 Robert oldfield
resided with his wife maria at 28 sunnyside st,Salford

mack

Thanks for the intel Mack, for all 3 Manchester Pals.... I'm again a little bit further with my Request and my Investigations about those brave Men.

I don't know exactly whats happened with Private Harry Senior, but I went over several times to Tyne Cot Cemetery and Tyne Cot Memorial and over there he's enlisted on a Panel of the Memorial in Tyne Cot Cemetery.  The family with who I'm in contact doesn't have anything about the place where he was KIA or if he was buried in an grave in a Cemetery... the only thing they know is that he was Remembered at Tyne Cot.  With your intel I can go over to Brandhoek Cemetery and wil try to find out why he isn't buried at that spot.

Patrick Michiels

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Welcome Patrick,   glad to have you join us 😊

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline Patte62

Welcome Patrick,   glad to have you join us 😊

Wendi

Thanks Wendi
Patrick Michiels

Offline AnnieA

Hi,

Your post caught my eye because Harry Senior was in the same battalion as my grandfather John Parry, who also died on 9th October and is also remembered on the Tyne Cot memorial.
The guys on here have been really helpful in giving me some information.
As you are in touch with some families, please could you keep John Parry in mind, in case the name comes up? We have no 'letters home' from John, but other families might have, and though it is a long shot, you never know who might be mentioned in them.

Many thanks.