Author Topic: Iban Trackers & Sarawak Rangers --- The Memoir  (Read 42953 times)

Offline autgoc

Re: Iban Trackers & Sarawak Rangers --- The Memoir
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »
Crumbs Almighty...!!!
What comradery lies before me as I read and re-read your comments in this post of mine. How could I even begin to thank each and everyone of you for your enthusiasm and support!
When I was commissioned with this project I gave myself 6 months to research it to see if it was a topic I could consider undertaking. This is totally out of my reach. Do you know what got me hooked?
It was when I realised that this particular "small war" was a success story brought about by the British Army (partly made up of greenhorn British National Service boys) in collaboration with seasoned jungle dwellers working together with entirely different ends against a common enemy. And of course, just how good our men were!!!

Oh don't get me wrong, it is not just praises I've received in my research on the Iban Trackers. I have come across a particular veteran of another regiment who has said that the Iban Trackers were ok, they were non-entities, superfluous to requirement. They were no grand injection to the cause was the gist of his emails to me.

Am I to take offence? Of course not!
I myself am open to all comments and observations for I truly have no personal opinion of them except one which I form through my research and hearing recollections and meeting some of them 1st hand as mellowed elderly men. God only knows what they were like in their heydays. This is the reason why I need to record as many recollections as possible to deduce a fairly accurate account of their involvement in this "small war".

I hope someday I'll be able to convey my gratitude in an honourable way to all of you here.
This is only a short message to deliver a big fat... "Thank You fellas :-) "

warmest regards,
indu Sarawak Magdelene
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:52:46 AM by autgoc »

Offline george.theshed197

• sadly no longer with us
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:54 PM »
Good morning Indu Sarawak Magdelene,
Firstly a quick thank you to those two friends of mine (Roy (Arty) and Cliff) for their contributions to your manuscript.
This morning I have been at the Hospital to have my hearing seen to (normal quarterly check up) nothing to be alarmed about and also this afternoon to make an appointment to have my eyes checked as I have worked out that many of my problems with my typing on the PC seem to be primarily associated with what I am also finding in my reading as well as typing and consider is connected with my glasses ( more than likely the lower part of my bifocals - the upper portion 'Reading' seems to be OK but to be on the safe side I will see the optician. (and before any further comments come in - its  only my age obviously and possible the lack of alcohol  ;D ;D ;D !!).
Apai Tuai George.

Offline autgoc

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »
Here's hoping all went well my dear Apai Tuai George...
Didn't give any of the nurses or attendants at the optician any grief, did you?

A most lethal combination spritely elderly man lacking alcohol...!!!
I salute you Alice ;-)

indu Sarawak Magdelene

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
I certainly did not  ;D ;D Indu Sarawak Magdelene,
In actual fact I was pleasantly surprised to be given an appointment next Saturday afternoon at 3.15 pm I am happy to say.
Now to continue to add further comments in relation to Roy's statement in respect of Bhujang, one of the Mortar Platoon's lads - I remembered him from when we first saw them at Klian Intan, one of the larger Tin Mines in northern Kedah adjacent to the Siamese Border, but I just couldn't remember their names and was glad when Roy mentioned him and Smokey;- Bhjang is on our photograph, he is on the second Row, FIFTH from the RIGHT , I can remember speaking to him when I saw him and to surprise of Col. Baird when I shook his hand and said something like "Don't I know you from somewhere in the Manchester Regiment ?" whereupon" he grinned and said immediately "Yes, Sgt,with Support Company  Mortar Platoon at Klian Intan, Sgt." and from that moment I began to feel almost at home with the entire platoon of the Sarawak Rangers. The one immediately to his right could very well be Smokey but I cannot remember seeing him a Segenting BUT I certainly can remember the definitely FOUL roll-ups that he smoked - so I think it must certainly be the lad next to Bhujang. With a bit of luck we might well be building-up even more names !!.
And of course the comments from Cliff will add to the knowledge you are gaining from further information he gave.

Now that I have worked out in respect of the problems I am having with my writing and typing I will hold fire on the recording matters until I have seen the optician and confirmed re my eyes are at fault in order that can further look at some of the notes I have all ready made, to recheck those comments that I had jotted down which looks like gibberish to me currently and recheck exactly where I had left off.
So for now then here's hoping there will be still more additions to see tonight.
Apsi Tuai George.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »
Just letting those following this topic know what I have done to try and help Magdelene get more information.

I contacted the webmaster of my old Army Boarding School (Slim School Cameron Highlands) web site this morning and asked if he would message all the school association members if they could help with providing any information from themselves or their parents regarding the Iban Trackers. This afternoon he has let me know that he has done so and I have received a copy of the message. Lets hope it proves worth while.

I have also posted on the school Facebook page asking if anyone can help and directing them to the Forum topic if they can. One of the former pupils who was at the school several years after me joined the Para's and has passed this request on to his Para association telling me that he is aware that several of the older members worked with the trackers.

If anyone Googles Slim School they need to include "Malaya" as after the Cameron Highlands school closed the name was used by an Army school in Germany.

I hope this helps in some way.
Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
I forgot to tell you in todays message  to look at the section on The Forum.....  -

MANCHESTER'S FALLEN ; " 59 YEARS AGO TODAY "
by kewari  - KINGO  - The report on the Cameron Highlands Ambush in which five of our Manchester Lads were killed.

Apai Tuai George.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »
Getting around the world a bit on this topic, one of the former Slim School pupils who now lives in Australia has sent me the following links via the school site webmaster who lives in Canada.

I suspect that Magdelene will have seen all of these before:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Ranger_Regiment

https://ibanology.wordpress.com/2013/06/03/iban-trackers/

www.theborneopost.com/2015/12/16/srva-baru-all-out-for-ex-iban-trackers-rangers/

www.theborneopost.com/.../association-intensifies-efforts-to-trace-ex-iban-jungle-trac...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a...91459...type=1

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/373376625330142040/
www.historyasia.com/shows/last-journey-sarawak

The only one that did not open for me was the Facebook one, I will try it again when I am logged into Facebook.

Cliff
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

Offline autgoc

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2016, 01:54:36 PM »
Dearest Cliff & All...

I suppose we can safely say that this has always been a global topic.

Yes I have seen all this Cliff, thank you very much all the same to your mate(s) down under for being so pro-active. I hope to have their continued support :-)

The angles I lack information are their names and the 1st hand accounts of experiences with the Iban Trackers and Sarawak Rangers.
If you notice all these sites have one or two names and most photographs of Trackers and their superior officers are marked "unknown Tracker". There's nothing "official". This is the reason why coming to know George is such a breakthrough in my research. Suddenly most of these faces, Trackers & Rangers most people respect & revere for their valour, have names, identities. They were somebody's son, brother, husband. father...
And now to be in discussion with so many of you in this forum who remember them fondly or otherwise is manna from heaven for me in my quest to immortalise them and whomsoever come forward with their recollections.

As for the SRVA Baru and all the new veterans association saga I can only say, "politics eh" :-)
Capt Johari recently brought a few of these Veterans Trackers & SR to meet up with the Sarawak State Chief Minister. He was given a pat on his back and told well done for taking up this cause. Any further interest? No further development as far as I know to their welfare apart from a sizeable piece of land given to SRVA then SRVA Baru, yes it was already granted by the state even in the time of Robert Rizal, to plant cash crops whereby profits from the sales of this would be used to cater for the overall welfare of these veterans. Some sort of co-operative system was to be set up.
That piece of land lies idle still as I am typing this reply.

What are we to do then eh?
I'm no Joanna Lumley. I cannot do what she has done for the Gurkhas.
Me? I write.

Thank you once again for your continued support.

indu Sarawak Magdelene
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:08:05 PM by autgoc »

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Indu Tuai |Sarawak Magdelene,
This will be a very brief message, I congratulate you and Capt Johari in particular to date. I am trying to limit my time because Alice found a place in Fareham for acupuncture today this morning and made an appointment for today at 2.45 and has just returned and I want to find out how she went on.
I will draft a suitable response this evening  after I have re-read it to ensure that the readers of this Topic to ensure them that it will continue  to because I never imagined just how far it would go and I have no intention to slow or stop that flow.
So folks I will close now,
Take care,
Apai Tuai George.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:10:03 PM by george.theshed197 »

« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
I regret to advise that I have just managed to lose all that I had written abouty a full A4 page for which I apologise BUT will have another bash in the morrow however for Indu Sarawak Magdelene I will quicly name the Iban Tracker JAMPI who was wounded in the head on that contact but made a complete recovery ; the other Iban Tracker was ENTALANG- two of the lad's from 4 platoon got MID's.
More tomorrow,
Nite Nite Apai |Tuai George.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:12:15 PM by george.theshed197 »

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »
Good morning all,
Apologies for last night event, maybe I was so excited after my phone call to 2/Lt. Crispin Worthington that I must have inadvertently caught my keyboard and kerboom off it went,so keeping my fingers very carefully away from the keyboard (very difficult  so I note) here goes my news from him.
He will be looking for his old notes and advise in due course, meanwhile some of his call :-  " quoting from Jungle  Bashers -  Pages 41/42, B company - under the command of 2/Lt. Crispin Worthington,operating in the Bongsu area of Kedah located a terrorist camp....C.L.O., Wong Siew Meng - and one Iban Tracker JAMPI....When Selkirk reached the top of the hill lying on the ground approximately two yards away. He immediately shot and killed the terrorist. L/Cpl Charlie Wilson then had the magazine of his Owen Gun hit by a bullet. Weng Siew Meng was wounded in the temple, after a bullet had already smashed the stock of his Mark 2 carbine.  ....Meanwhile the rest of the patrol, together with Jampi the tracker who had been wounded in his wrist..."
There is a picture on page 19 of 5 platoon - B Company showing L/Cpl Bruce Selkirk on the extreme right.
 Both Selkirk and Cpl. Jimmy Walker  Crispin advised  received M.I.D.'s.

After last night I am being extra careful ..
I will return later today.
Apai Tuai George.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:30:40 PM by george.theshed197 »

Offline autgoc

« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
Hello Apai Tuai George and Everyone who reads this post,

I realise I haven't posted here for over 2 weeks now. My weekly conversation with yourself dear Apai Tuai George unfailingly yields me new information each time. In light of this most unexpected turn of events I have put a mild halt writing on the Malayan Emergency. It is unfair if not foolish to write on it whilst so much information is still surfacing. I have decided it is wise, at the moment, to concentrate my work on Iban Social & Cultural Anthropology.

We have a couple of weeks left before our meeting Apai Tuai George. Exciting days!
I might or might not post here until we meet face to face but be sure I am still around. It ain't that easy to be rid of me ;-)

indu Sarawak Magdelene

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
Acknowledged Indu Sarawak Magdelene,

;D ;D This is developing greater that I ever imagined ; My apologies for that to everyone else reading it.

Cheers - Apai Tuai George.

Offline autgoc

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 10:12:07 PM »
My dearest Apai Tuai George & beautiful Alice,
How do I begin to express my gratitude to the both of you for your warmest hospitality? Hmmm? How indeed!

These past 3 days have gone by far too quickly if you ask me my dears. The ease I experienced in communicating with you is on the level of as if I have known you all of my life. The information imparted and insight offered to me is invaluable. 2 full days of recorded interviews filling up 3 folders and a total of 12hrs Apai Tuai George! Despite Alice's insistence that you ought not waste my time with being longwinded, it is precisely your detailed memory of what went on during your time in the Malayan Emergency that I'm after. Like I said I certainly got what I came to you for, and more!

Do you know what has made my research/meeting with you invaluable?
It is the fact that we both had knowledge to offer each other. I think back on the "burong" with very deep emotions Apai Tuai George. If you recall what I said when we bid each other goodbye at the front door, "I really find it very hard to leave you." I meant every single word I said and every emotion I felt within me then and notihng has changed.
You do realise I shall never ever forget you for as long as there is breath in my body. You are something else, do you know that? And that beautifully hilarious wife of yours Alice; how I love you both xx

I travel back up to Fife tomorrow morning and I shall call you once I am able to speak at leisure. This should be sometime in the week, Monday to be precise.
I leave you with the affirmation that I am already plotting dates on my calendar for my next trip down South; December enroute Paris.
Until Monday my lovelies...

indu Sarawak Magdelene

« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:19:20 PM by autgoc »

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »
Indu Sarawak Magdelene,
Currently I am still feeling the effects of my session at the hospital yesterday and as such I am not in a fit state to answer your beautiful letter of yesterday. I will give it a go tomorrow because I also thourly enjoyed those two days and one evening answering all your questions along with the input and comments from you yourself which in practically every instant would trigger off other events in my memory - all of which would start me off on yet another track.
More to-morrow.
Apai Tuai George