Author Topic: The Manchester Regiment & The Italian Campaign  (Read 11197 times)

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
The Manchester Regiment & The Italian Campaign
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
Among the many Battle Honours of the Regiment are :  Piave, Vittorio Veneto & Italy 1917-1918.

Sometimes described by historians as a "side show"  (cf. 13th Manchesters in Salonika), the Official History of Military Operations in Italy records that without the presence of British troops there would have been no Vittorio "Veneto".  The battalions of the Manchesters who were sent to Italy in November 1917 after the critical position at the end of the Caporetto Offensive were:-

7th Division:  20th Mcrs - 22nd Brigade, 21st & 22nd Bns. - 91st Brigade.  24th Bn. were the Divisional Pioneers.

Of particular interest is a series of simultaneous raids by the British and the French on the Austrian positions on the 9th August 1918 in the area of Canove di Sotto in which the 20th Manchesters took part.   Upon withdrawal, the battalion suffered 17 casualties; about 50 Austrian prisoners being taken, including two officers.

Among the casualties were: -

40510 Sgt. William Johnson MM, (of Knutsford, Cheshire),  40340 Sgt Harry Howard MM, (of Denton, Nr. Manchester), 42075 Pte. William Steven and 54182 Pte.. George William Kirkley.  I note that Sgt. Johnson was formerly with the Cheshire Yeomanry, his  service number then being 1826.  All four men are commemorated on the Giavera Memorial.  There is one further name of a Manchester Regiment soldier named on the panels of this memorial.   He is 70436 Pte. Frank Bleakley of the 22nd Mcrs. reported missing on the 29th October 1918 at the time of the Vittorio Veneto battle.

Lastly, are there any citations regarding the awards of Military Medals to the two sergeants?      PhilipG.

Offline woodfox

Re: The Manchester Regiment & The Italian Campaign
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »
Canove is the city where i live! infact the badges i found 1 years ago come from canove di sotto!! in cesuna (a village near canove) there is the british boscon cemetery, in boscon wood there were the second line trench of the british force. (I post the photos of the cemetery some days ago). I will check some informations for you, and also the cemetery's  headstones.

Offline woodfox

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
By wikipedia:
The Battle of Vittorio Veneto was fought from 24 October to 3 November 1918 near Vittorio Veneto on the Italian Front during World War I. The Italian victory marked the end of the war on the Italian Front, secured the dissolution of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and contributed to the end of the First World War less than two weeks later.

Some Italians see Vittorio Veneto as the final culmination of the Risorgimento nationalist movement, in which Italy was unified.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Woodfox,
 Thank you for your interesting information.     
A little more about the raid by the Manchesters.    I quote: " They (the Manchesters) were twice counter attacked, the first time from the left, the second from Canove cemetery north east of Canove di Sotto.   Both were defeated by rifle fire."   
I regret that none of my maps indicate the location of Boscon.   Is it near Asiago?  Regards, PhilipG.

Offline woodfox

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:02:12 PM »
Woodfox,
 Thank you for your interesting information.     
A little more about the raid by the Manchesters.    I quote: " They (the Manchesters) were twice counter attacked, the first time from the left, the second from Canove cemetery north east of Canove di Sotto.   Both were defeated by rifle fire."   
I regret that none of my maps indicate the location of Boscon.   Is it near Asiago?  Regards, PhilipG.

Yes! It is betwen cesuna and canove.... In the middle of the wood.... Boscon it's a "popular" mode to call the wood betwen  canove and cesuna

Offline woodfox

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:27:27 PM »
About in the Red circle there is the "boscon wood" or also called the "Black wood"

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 06:20:45 AM »
Woodfox,

Many thanks for your help.  PhilipG.

Offline woodfox

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:53:15 AM »
Woodfox,

Many thanks for your help.  PhilipG.

just check.... they arent buried at the boscon cemetery...... i will check for the medals

Offline woodfox

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 09:01:40 AM »
from the web site: http://www.militaryimages.net/media/knutsford-war-memorial-ww1-wooden-panel.86308/

JOHNSON William, (M.M.) Sergeant 40510, 20th Manchester Regiment, formerly 1826 Cheshire Yeomanry killed in action in Italy 9th August 1918 aged 23. He was the son of Mr and Mrs Thomas Johnson of 8, Market Place, Knutsford. he is commemorated on the Giavera Memorial, Italy

nothing new......

Offline woodfox

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
this is the only result i find..... I hope it can help in your research
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 09:18:34 AM by woodfox »

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 10:52:02 AM »
Woodfox,

Thank you again. PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
With reference to the 20th Manchesters' raid and to which reference was made above, further research reveals that after the raid, one man was found to be missing.   I think this must be 252379 Pte. W.H.Warburton who is buried in Barenthal British Cemetery and who is recorded as KIA on the 9th August 1918.

The companies involved in the raid later returned to Carriola Camp "and rested"!

It also transpires that HRH The Prince of Wales (rank of Major) visited the battalion and congratulated the CO upon the success of the raid. PhilipG.

Offline woodfox

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 11:15:04 AM »
With reference to the 20th Manchesters' raid and to which reference was made above, further research reveals that after the raid, one man was found to be missing.   I think this must be 252379 Pte. W.H.Warburton who is buried in Barenthal British Cemetery and who is recorded as KIA on the 9th August 1918.

The companies involved in the raid later returned to Carriola Camp "and rested"!

It also transpires that HRH The Prince of Wales (rank of Major) visited the battalion and congratulated the CO upon the success of the raid. PhilipG.

i will visit the barenthal cemetery and post the photos

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 09:13:03 PM »

hiya Philip.
warburtons body was later found by a search party

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 09:52:40 PM »
Mack,

Many thanks. PhilipG.