Author Topic: George Fysh  (Read 2954 times)

Aboukir

George Fysh
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:27:03 PM »
Hi All, I was researching George Fysh with the old forum but while doing a search on Google tody noticed a reply (which I didn't receive) from someone who could put me in touch with the decendants of George in Salford. Are you still there please??
Aboukir

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
Re: George Fysh
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »
Hi Aboukir ~ Glad you found us again! ~ Welcome  ;D

It was beatlelass who left the note for you on 17th September.  She is a member here under her new name of "The Colonel" you can PM her.

I found the post you saw, here http://tinyurl.com/2ajh63

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline harribobs

• Site Monkey
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:52:29 PM »

whahey..here's the thread!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: George Fysh    Reply with quote
can anyone point me in the direction for info about George please? All I know about him is that he was probably born in King's Lynn, Norfolk c1894 and on his daughters birth cert (1918) he is noted as, Private, Manchester Regiment and General dealer. How can I find his service record and battalion.
Aboukir
harribobs
Site Monkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
hi aboukir

welcome to the forum

i've had a look at the medal index cards on the national archives site but I can't find a george fysh in the manchesters
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01wf/
there is a sydney fysh, if anyone else has any ideas........

i've also checked the pals battalions index but i wouldn't have expected anyone from kings lynn to be there ( these were manchester men who volunteered in 1914)

is there a service number on the certificate?

cheers

chris

Last edited by harribobs on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
beatlelass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
He may have been listed as George Fish. I found Pte 75679 George Fish of the Manchester Regt listed in the Online archives.

I checked the 1901 census - I can't pin-point George by the birth year provided, but the Fysh family are in Kings Lynn, and there is also a Fysh connection with Salford.
If you can provide Georges fathers name, I might be able to find the family for you.

Linda
Aboukir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: George Fysh    Reply with quote
Thanks for that guys and gals. I see the point about the Fish/Fysh confusion. I live here in King's Lynn and do know about the Salford lot but can't seem to be able to contact any of them. I have an extensive data base of Fysh in KL but not much background about the 3 George's of that era.
Aboukir
harribobs
Site Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
Description
Medal card of Fish, George
Corps Regiment No Rank
Manchester Regiment 75679 Private
Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/7

the problem is confirming that this is your man, and thats not easy. if his records have survived ( only 30% survived WW2) they may be the key
tisgrannie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: george fysh    Reply with quote
George Fysh
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Mary A
Where born: Penrith, Staffordshire, England

Civil Parish: Ormesby
Ecclesiastical parish: North Ormesby Holy Trinity
Town: North Ormesby
County/Island: Yorkshire

Are you sure about where George was born? From my own experience it always doesn't follow that they were born were they say. have you looked at the birth certificate for his daughter? Did she get Christened. Is there parish records to back up origin theory. Did you try for Georges birth cert. What is his fathers name?
As beatle lass asked if you can give fathers name and stuff he can be sifted out.
regards tisgrannie
Aboukir

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: George Fysh    Reply with quote
This is getting very confusing. My grandfather JW Fysh was killed in 1914 on HMS Aboukir (hence the pseudonym) Mabel Fysh died aged 9 in 1927 so was born 1918 here in King's Lynn. On her birth cert it states father George Fysh etc so this is where the confusion about her being named Fysh or....was this a red Herring (excuse the pun) My grandmother later remarried a Fred Lusher and stayed in KL. But you lads and lasses are great for what you have uncovered so far, I've been chasing this conundrum around for .....may months.
Thanks all.
Aboukir
harribobs
Site Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
well i'm confused................. Wink
beatlelass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
The nearest matches I can find are ...

1901 census RG13 Piece 1843 Folio 94 Page 30.
Norwich, sub district West Wymer in the town of Heigham.
117, Adelaide St.
JOHN FISH Head Married age 30 Bricklayers Lab. Born Braintree, Essex.
ELIZABETH FISH age 29 Boot Machinist Born Norwich.
GEORGE FISH Son age 6 Born Norwich
JOHN FISH Son age 5 Born Norwich.

In the marriage index, there is a John William Fish who married Anna Elizabeth Mason March qtr 1895 at Freebridge Lynn, Norfolk.

1901 census RG13 Piece 1835 Folio 61 Page 1
Norwich, East Wymer.
5, Burrells Yard.
JAMES FISH Head married Shoemaker(?) born Norwich
LEAH FISH Wife 47 born Norwich
WILLIAM FISH Son 21 Soldier(?) born Norwich
ROBERT FISH 17 Shoemaker born Norwich
LILY FISH Dau. 15 weaver born Norwich
FLORENCE FISH Dau. 11 born Norwich
GEORGE FISH Son 6 born Norwich.

It looks like your Mabel was born illigitamate, and the mother named George on the birth certificate as the father. There is a simple explanation. Many years ago, illegitimacy was very much frowned upon. By having George Fish's name put on the birth certificate as the father, it meant that Mabel (according to the official paperwork) was not born an illitamate child, therefore, she would not have grown up with such a social stigma.

If you can obtain the marriage certificate of George, it will give you his fathers full name and occupation. Once you have this information, we might be able to identify him properly on the census returns.

Lin.
Aboukir

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: George Fysh    Reply with quote
Hi Lin,
yes I totally agree about the
Quote:
It looks like your Mabel was born illigitamate, and the mother named George on the birth certificate as the father.
assumption. The problem with obtaining any certs for George is that I have no idea who he is. I was rather hoping that he could have been identified from his service record in the Manchesters.
Aboukir
themonsstar1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
This is from ADM242.

Fysh William, Seaman, No 2986A., RNR, HMS Aboukir, Born 21/10/1891, Death 22/9/14, Wife Alice, North End Yard, Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
beatlelass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:    Reply with quote
MS1, Thank you for the info, that is very, very helpful!

Aboukir, I will so some more searching for you tomorrow. Do you know the names of Williams parents? That would be helpful. George Fysh may have been a cousin or even a brother to William. If I trace the family line back, we may find a connection.

Lin

I have edited this post:- I am able to put you in contact with living relatives of the Salford Fysh family... let me know if you would like me to do this for you.

The Colonel

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 08:13:11 PM »
Hi Aboukir, and welcome back to the forum...  would you like me to contact the Salford Fysh family line for you? Once they have replied, I will be able to put you in direct contact with them. They might be able to solve your family puzzle!

The Colonel.  ;D