Author Topic: Snippets of the Manchester Regiment  (Read 143650 times)

timberman

Re: Snippets of the Manchester Regiment
« Reply #465 on: August 04, 2018, 01:46:06 PM »
PLEASE NOTE
All of the information on this thread is taken from different sources most are copyright of groups or individuals, I have checked the use of sections on all the sites. I understand that if they are being used for non profit or non commercial use it is OK to put them on our site.
Please bear this in mind if you use any of the information on this thread.
Thank-you

If anything does infringe copyright let me know and I will gladly remove it.

I now have written permission to reproduce alot of the articles on this forum. The rest are covered by the statement above.

Neil (Timberman)

THE MEANING OF ROYAL REGIMENTS
Evening Post, Volume CXXII, Issue 148, 19 December 1936, Page 27

THE MEANING OF ROYAL REGIMENTS
Army regiments are. hoping that the King will follow precedent in his Coronation Honours by conferring on several regiments the prefix "Royal," a cherished privilege that carries with it the right, to wear "Royal blue" facings, says the "Evening Standard." The 4th/7th Dragoon Guards were granted this distinction the other day. In this instance, however, it was more a case of restoring the prefix, for the ijehior half of the amalgamation was the 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.
Of the sixty scarlet-coated infantry regiments today, twenty-two have the honour of being called "Royal," "King's Own," "Queen's Own," or some other title denoting Royal favour. These regiments are distinguished by the dark blue collars and cuffs of their tunics instead of the white, buff, green, or yellow of regiments not so honoured.
A departure from precedent was made last year when King George, on his birthday, ordered that the Buffs, Northumberland Fusiliers, and Norfolk Regiment should thenceforward be designated "Royal." !
So great is their seniority in the Army List that the Buffs (Royal East Kent' Regiment), the Royal' Northumberland Fusiliers, and the Royal Norfolk Regiment were permitted by King George to retain their old facings respectively of buff, gosling green, and yellow.
Some "Royal" titles go far back into the history of the Army; others were conferred comparatively recently. The Royal Army Service "Corps and the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, for instance, were granted this, honour in November, 1918, in recognition of their splendid services in the Great War.
The title of "The Royal Regiment" was conferred on the Royail Scots by Charles II "in 1684 after they had successfully defended his new possession of Tangier against the Moors. His
Queen, Catherine, of Braganza.is commemorated in the title of the Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey).
Two Lancashire regiments, the King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster) and the King's Regiment (Liverpool), owe their titles to George I, who thus marked his appreciation of their loyalty to-himself in the critical year 1715. The Somerset Light Infantry changed their yellow facings to blue in 1842, when, after their heroic defence of Jellalabad, the Prince Consort bestowed-his name on the regiment and also presented it with aTegimental march composed by himself.
The Cameron Highlanders were named "The Queen's Own" by Queen Victoria, -who also made the Berkshire a "Royal" regiment in recognition of their conduct at Tofrek, in the Sudan, in 1885, when what looked like being a catastrophe was turned into a victory by their steadiness, discipline, and courage. There are still plenty of regiments who are, in the words of a famous colonel of long ago, "neither King's nor Queen's", nor Royal Marines, but just plain old —the Foot."
Among these are the Lancashire Fusiliers, who won undying fame in the landing at Gallipoli, the Worcestershire Regiment, whose recapture of Gheluvelt was an outstanding exploit in the early days of the war, and the Manchester Regiment whom King George honoured by becoming their Colonel-in-Chief in 1930.
The King is Colonel-in-Chief of the following.regiments which are not yet. entitled to the "royal blue" distinction: the South Wales Borderers, with grass green facings; the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, with white; the Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire), with buff; the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), with lemon yellow; and the Seaforth Highlanders, with buff.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #466 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:46 PM »
A GREAT RECORD
Evening Post, Volume CIX, Issue 149, 27 June 1930, Page 3
A GREAT RECORD
MANCHESTER REGIMENT
ALLIANCE WITH SOUTHLAND
(From ,"Tho Post's" Representative.) LONDON, 15th May.
, To-day the King ?is receiving at Buckingham Palace, a representative party of officers from the Regular and .Territorial battalions' of the Manchester Regiment, of which His Majesty became Colonel-in-Chief towards the end of last year. The Manchester Regiment is allied with the Southland Regiment, New Zealand Military Forces, and the Ist Battalion, now quartered at Shorneliffe, is under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Bernard Freybcrg, V.C.
Some particulars about the regiment arc given by a correspondent of "The Times." At one period during the war there were 54 battalions of .the regiment in existence, 42 being shown in the Army List, of which -7 served overseas. The total of all ranks killed, wounded, missing, or who died of disease was about 45,000, while the number killed in action or who died of wounds was 14,122. Between them, the battalions earned during the war twelve Victoria Crosses, the earliest being those awarded to Second Lieutenant Leach and Sergeant Hogan, of the 2nd Battalion, for their great gallantry at Festubert on 29th October, 1914.' WEST INDIES AND CRIMEA. j The Ist Battalion was originally the CBrd Foot, being constituted in 1758 from the 2nd.Battalion of the Bth (The King's)— General Wolfe's regiment. Twenty-five years later it became known ag "The 63rd" West Suffolk regiment." Beading through its earlier records one is struck by the frequency with which- it served and fought in the I West Indies. In all, during the 'first; sixty years or so of its existence it j seems to have been there for four different periods,' lasting for a total of seventeen years, though, service in America during the W,ar of Independence, two expeditions to- Holland, and one each to Ferrol and Madeira, together with more humdrum duty in the United Kingdom, Gibraltar, and Malta intervened. But Guadalcupe and Martinique both figure in the regimental battle honours, the former twice, and it is a fact that the 63rd assisted in the seizure or occupation of each of .these islands on.no fewer than three distinct occasions. In the Crimea the regiment fought gallantly in the battles culminating in the capture of Sevastopol. Landing in Kalamita Bay, 1068. strong in September, 1854, they embarked again at Balaclava in May, 1856, having lost in the interval 947 officers and men killed, died of wounds, or invalided. But they did not embark for England. Instead, they were sent to Halifax, Nova Scotia, where, and in Canada, tticy remained until 1565. By 1870 they wore in India, and ten years later served during the later phases of the Second Afghan War. THE MAORI WAR. No fewer than five regiments numbered 96 were raised and disbanded between. 1761 and 1818, but in 1824, during a new threat of war with France, a sixth 96th, the' real forbear of the present 2nd .Battalion, was raised in Manchester. It was immediately sent abroad, returning home in 1835. Six years later saw it in New South Wales, with detachments in Van Dieman's Laud, and in 1844 one of its companies was on active service against the Maoris in. New Zealand, for which, in 1870, another battle honour was tardily granted. After five years' service in Australia the 96th'was sent to India until the end of 1854, when it returned to the United Kingdom. Hero it remained for nine years until it went to the Cape, and, in 180.), again to India. Returning home in 1873, it was linked with the OSrd Regiment to form the 16th. Infantry Brigade, the depot of which was at : Ashton-under-Lyn, in Lancashire.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #467 on: August 04, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
MANCHESTER REGIMENT
Evening Post, Volume CIX, Issue 39, 15 February 1930, Page 7

MANCHESTER REGIMENT
(From "The Post's" Representative.) LONDON, 23rd December. His Majesty the King has been pleased to become Colonel-in-Chief of the Manchester Regiment. The Southland Regiment, New Zealand Military Forces, Invercargill, is allied with the Manchester Regiment. General the Hon. Sir Herbert A. Lawrence, G.C.8., D.C.L., LL.D., Retired Pay, p.s.c., is Colonel of the Manchester Regiment, and Lieutenant-Colonel B. C. Freyberg, V.C., C.M.G.,D.5.0., LL.D., p.s.c, commands the Ist Battalion of the regiment.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #468 on: August 04, 2018, 01:53:32 PM »
PRIVATE KILLED
Evening Post, Volume CXXV, Issue 60, 12 March 1938, Page 9

PRIVATE KILLED
AFFRAY AT GALILEE
(Received March 12, 12.30 p.m.)

JERUSALEM, March 11.
British troops caused heavy casualties among’ armed bands of Arabs at Galilee but a stray shot killed Private Michael Fury, of the Manchester Regiment. Ten Arab corpses were found and a prisoner was taken.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #469 on: August 04, 2018, 01:55:01 PM »
WAR MISCELLANY
Evening Post, Volume CXXX, Issue 19, 22 July 1940, Page 8

WAR MISCELLANY
LONDON, July 19. - The former War Secretary, . Mr. Oliver Stanley, has been appointed an honorary colonel in the Manchester Regiment. . ,

PARIS, July 20th
 A police census revealed that more than 3,000,000 persons fled from ,the Paris region during the invasion, the population being 1,938,000 at July 7.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #470 on: December 12, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »
Charles May, Captain
Captain Charles "Charlie" May, 27, thinking of his wife, Bessie, and baby daughter, showed none of his comrades' enthusiasm to go into battle.
A member of the 22nd Battalion, The Manchester Regiment, 7th Division, he wrote to his wife on 17 June, a fortnight before the bloody first day of battle of the Somme: "I do not want to die. Not that I mind for myself. If it be that I am to go, I am ready. But the thought that I may never see you or our darling baby again turns my bowels to water. I cannot think of it with even the semblance of equanimity."
Over the months his attitude changed to resigned fatalism. May's final diary entry at 5.45am on 1 July, reproduced from Malcolm Brown's history of the Somme, was among the last testaments to be written by the 19,240 Britons who would die on the Somme that day. "No Man's land is a tangled desert," he wrote. "We do not yet seem to have stopped his machine guns. These are popping off all along our parapet as I write. I trust they will not claim too many of our lads before the day is over."
Suspecting he might not return, he asked his friend, Captain FJ Earles, if he would look after his wife and daughter. May led his men over the top at 7.30am that day. The 22nd Manchesters made progress across No Man's Land, but the machine guns he wrote of cut down many of the battalion - and May was among the dead. Earles kept his promise, and later married May's widow.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #471 on: December 12, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
The West Australian

Tuesday 10 April 1888
Family Notices
MARRIAGE.
WATSON-McKAY-On the 4th inst., at the
Presbyterian Church, Perth, W.A., by the   Rev D. Shearer, M. A., JAMES, second son of the late William Watson, of Gallotown, Scotland; to JANET MARY, only daughter   of the late John McKay, pensioner, of Her Majesty's 96th regiment of foot.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #472 on: December 12, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
TROOPS FROM BERMUDA
Evening Post, Volume CXX, Issue 73, 23 September 1935, Page 9

TROOPS FROM BERMUDA
BATTALION FOR SUEZ
GOVERNOR'S REMARKS
BERMUDA, September 21.
The Governor, Lieut.-General Sir Thomas Cubitt, addressing a battalion of the Manchester Regiment which is departing in accordance with the customary trooping arrangements, said:—
"You are going to the Suez Canal, at present the most important part of the world. I cannot believe Signor Mussolini deliberately intends war against the Empire. I hope and pray we are not forced into a war of which it is impossible to foresee the ramifications."

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #473 on: December 12, 2018, 03:42:43 PM »
West Suffolk (63rd) Served in Tasmania, Sydney and Western Australia.

Arrived on the Sulphur in June 1829, the commencement of settlement in WA.   
 Left in1833

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #474 on: December 12, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »
96th Regiment of foot.

Manchester Regiment The 96th regiment was broken into 26 separate detachments in 1839. These detachments began to arrive in Australia during 1839, with the last detachment arriving in 1841. The headquarters for the Regiment was one of the last detachments to arrive in 1841. Throughout 1839 to 1841 the 96th Regiment acted as convict Guards at several locations. The Regimental Head Quarters of this Regiment was stationed in Windsor in 1841. In 1842 the Headquarters moved to Parramatta and then to Launceston in 1843. The Regiment remained in Tasmania until 1848 sailing to India in January of 1849.   

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #475 on: December 12, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
TERRITORIAL OFFICERS' KIT.
HC Deb 20 December 1915 vol 77 c35 35
 Mr. WATT
asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether the Territorial officer who was patriotic enough to enlist before the War received only £12 10s. for kit on his mobilization, whereas the officers of the New Army who enlisted after the beginning of the War were given £50 and sometimes up to £100 in similar circumstances; and, if so, will his Department find any means of equalizing these differences at the end of the War?
 Mr. FORSTER
The hon. Member is not comparing like with like. An officer, whether Regular or Territorial, already in possession of uniform, did not, of course, require or receive the same grant as an officer joining the Army for the first time.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2018, 03:46:59 PM »
POSTHUMOUS MILITARY HONOURS.
HC Deb 20 December 1915 vol 77 cc34-5 34

Mr. PETO
asked the Under-Secretary of State for War whether any alteration has been made with regard to the granting of military honours to the next of kin of officers to whom they have been awarded who do not survive; whether any pension attaches to the grant of either the Victoria Cross or Military Cross in the case of officers, non-commissioned officers, or men; and if he can state the reason for any alteration that may have been made?
 Mr. TENNANT
No, Sir, no alteration has been made in the rule with regard to the posthumous grant of military honours. Such grant is, and has been, limited to that of the Victoria Cross. In the case of officers, no pension attaches to the award 35 of either the Victoria Cross or the Military Cross. In the case of soldiers awarded the Victoria Cross there is an annuity of £10. Soldiers who earn pensions and are holders of the Military Cross are entitled to an extra 6d. per day. The last part of the question does not arise, as no alterations have been made.
 Mr. PETO
Will the right hon. Gentleman consider the advisability, in the interests of justice, of making posthumous grants of the honour of the Military Cross to the nearest kin of the officer or man who earned it?
 Mr. TENNANT
I think the Victoria Cross is in a distinct position from any other decoration. I cannot help thinking it would be very doubtful policy to extend the provisions which have been considered hitherto only applicable to the Victoria Cross to other decorations.

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #477 on: December 12, 2018, 03:47:34 PM »
HOME GUARD.
HC Deb 25 July 1940 vol 363 cc1007-8W 1007W

Mr. Ammon
asked the Secretary of State for War why his promise that Mr. Jack Ward, V.C., would be reinstated in the Manchester Local Defence Volunteers has not been implemented?

Sir E. Grigg
The extent to which the existing rule should be modified has been under consideration, and it has now been decided that an applicant whose father was not a British subject may be enrolled if he served in His Majesty's armed forces in the war 1914–18, or has satisfactorily completed a period of not less than three years on full pay in His Majesty's regular forces. In no circumstances will an applicant be enrolled if, in addition to British nationality, he possesses German, Austrian or Italian nationality. Instructions to this effect will be issued shortly, and the question of Mr. Jack White's reinstatement will be dealt with accordingly.
 Sir F. Fremantle
asked the Secretary of State for War what arrangement is made for the medical care and treatment of men of the Home Guard when, on duty; and whether he has considered an offer by the secretary of the Central Medical War Committee to ask civil practitioners to undertake this duty as their contribution to home defence?
 Sir E. Grigg
Free medical care and treatment is provided for men of the Home Guard when on duty. It is proposed to take full advantage of the generous offer made by the Central Medical War Committee, for which my right hon. Friend is most grateful.
 Mr. Silkin
asked the Secretary of State for War whether a natural-born British subject, the son of non-enemy un-naturalised aliens, is eligible for membership of the Local Defence Volunteers?
 Mr. Eden
I would refer my hon. Friend to the answer given to-day to my hon. Friend the Member for Camberwell, North (Mr. Ammon).

Timberman

timberman

« Reply #478 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:08 PM »
VICTORIA CROSS AND GEORGE CROSS HOLDERS
HL Deb 10 April 1974 vol 350

VISCOUNT FURNESS
asked Her Majesty's Government:
The number of living holders of the Victoria Cross and George Cross.
 LORD BRAYLEY
There are 109 living holders of the Victoria Cross and 182 living holders of the George Cross.

Just an update to the above figures.

As of 2018, there are five living recipients of the Victoria Cross, three living
recipients of the Victoria Cross for Australia and one living recipient of the
Victoria Cross for New Zealand

John Alexander Cruickshank (b. May 20, 1920)   1944   No. 210 Squadron RAF   Atlantic
Rambahadur Limbu (b. July 8, 1939)   1966   2nd Bn, 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles   Sarawak, Malaysia
Keith Payne (b. August 30, 1933)   1969   Australian Army Training Team Vietnam   Ben Het, Vietnam
Johnson Beharry (b. July 26, 1979)   2005   1st Bn, The Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment (Queen's and Royal Hampshires)   Al-Amarah, Iraq
Joshua Leakey (b. 1988)   2015   Parachute Regiment   Helmand Province, Afghanistan
Willie Apiata (b. June 28, 1972)
(Victoria Cross for New Zealand)   2007   New Zealand Special Air Service   Afghanistan
Mark Donaldson (b. April 2, 1979)
(Victoria Cross for Australia)   2009   Australian Special Air Service Regiment   Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan
Ben Roberts-Smith (b. November 1, 1978)
(Victoria Cross for Australia)   2011   Australian Special Air Service Regiment   Kandahar Province, Afghanistan
Daniel Keighran (b. June 18, 1983)
(Victoria Cross for Australia)   2012   6th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment   Oruzgan Province, Afghanistan

Timberman
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by timberman »

timberman

« Reply #479 on: December 12, 2018, 03:49:36 PM »
VICTORIA CROSS PENSIONERS.
HC Deb 04 February 1937 vol 319

Sir A. Wilson
asked the Secretary of State for War how many persons now living are in receipt of pensions as holders of the Victoria Cross under the Royal Warrant of 5th February, 1931?
Mr. Cooper
The number of military recipients of the Victoria Cross pension is at present 240.

Timberman