Author Topic: Request for information concerning Frederick McMinn  (Read 1383 times)

Request for information concerning Frederick McMinn
« on: July 28, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
I would be most grateful if anyone could help me find more information concerning Frederick McMinn.  Fred should have been my grandfather - he was my grandma's fiancé who did not return from France.  Before the war he was a cabinetmaker who made the most lovely chairs, tables and sideboards, etc.  I have a photograph of him taken in uniform showing his corporals stripes.  I did not know of him until I was going through our old photographs with my mother, before she died, so was never able to talk to my grandmother about him.  My grandmother did eventually marry but he was not the best and went off to America and left her with three young children.  My mother spoke of Fred with great affection.

The information I have been able to gather about Fred is as follows:

Corporal Frederick McMinn, Number 1289, 2nd Battalion, 5th Division, Manchester Regiment. Mobilisation 4.8.1914.  Part of the original British Expeditionary Force.  He took part in the Christmas truce 1914.  I have the names and dates of the battles he fought in, including Ypres and the Somme.  Fred was killed in action on 18.11.16 - could  be in Munich Trench or Ten Tree Alley.  Fred has no known grave and is commemorated on the Tiepval Memorial - Pier and Face 13A and 14C.

He is eligible to receive the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.  I think his Medal Card is No/372/13/54465.

I haven't been able to find out his date of birth - it might be June 1893 in Chorlton, Manchester but am unsure.     

I think Fred enlisted at Weaste, Manchester but again I am unsure. 

I would be very grateful if in your records you have any further information about Fred. 

I have enjoyed reading the information on your website - I have found it to be most interesting.

Kind regards to you all, Jennifer.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
Re: Request for information concerning Frederick McMinn
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Hi Jennifer,
Fred is commemorated at Sacred Trinity Church, Salford. See http://salfordwarmemorials.proboards.com/thread/964/sacred-trinity-church
Good luck with your research
Tim
ps His mother's name was Elizabeth. She received his Effects incl £11 War Gratuity.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:37:17 PM by Tim Bell »
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
Dear Tim

Many thanks for your reply to my request for information concerning Corporal Fred McMinn.

I now know Fred was 23 years-old when he died and had lived at 14 Nelson Street, Weaste.  On the Sacred Trinity Church memorial website there is a photo of Fred, which is different to the one I have, there is also what looks like a cutting from the newspaper announcing his death and also a photograph of the granite war memorial erected in 1921 listing all those killed in action, including Fred. 

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to leave your message, I am very grateful.

With kind regards, Jennifer.

Offline Tim Bell

• Global Moderator
    • Grandad's Journey
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 01:48:03 PM »
Fred's father was also Frederick.  Snr served in Royal Defence Corps. His Service Record is online
Following one Platoon and everything around them....
http://17thmanchesters.wordpress.com/about/

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »
Dear Tim

Many thanks for this information about Frederick McMinn senior, I will look into this further.  Since looking at the war memorial at Sacred Trinity Church, Salford, I now know that my mother was baptized there on 7 October 1921 by Rev R C Davies - so if the memorial was erected before this date in 1921, my grandmother would have walked past it going into church carrying my mother in her arms.  It must have been both a sad and happy occasion for her.  How I wish I could have chat with my grandmother!

Many thanks for this latest snippet of information for me, it is most appreciated.

with kindest regards, Jennifer.