Author Topic: brothers last vigil  (Read 24953 times)

Offline charlie

• Administrator
Re: brothers last vigil
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 08:20:08 PM »
Philip,
I think convincing the CWGC that he also died on the 7th may not be so easy. The GRR records the 6th and the records of Soldiers Effects state the 6th or 7th.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 08:05:48 AM »
Charlie,

J.Heaton & C.Heaton

I agree.  "Soldiers Died" has the brothers named above as being killed on the 7th August 1915.    The Commission reports that their decision to change the date of death for J.Heaton to 7th August 1915 is supported by records found on the Ancestry website.

Can you check on that, please?    Can you also check on Ancestry re C. Heaton, too.   Short of obtaining D/Certs for the two soldiers I think it would be difficult to show that these two brave soldiers were brothers.  All very interesting!   PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 05:40:05 PM »
Philip,
I have been through the records on Ancestry. SDGW and their MiCs record that both brothers were KiA on the 7th. Soldiers Effects (Replies 7 and 15 refer) has the only discrepancy in that the death of C Heaton is recorded as being on the 6th or 7th, J Heaton being recorded as having died on the 7th.

I wonder if the letter quoted by Mack would be useful, I am assuming it was published in a Newspaper.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 06:47:27 PM »
Charlie,

Strengthened by your research, I propose to write again to the Commission in the matter of C. Heaton's date of death.   Thanks for your help.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 11:41:18 AM »
  Charlie,

Convincing (?) letter composed and dispatched to the Commission today re C.Heaton. PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
Philip,
Thank you, your last letter was obviously convincing enough, I‘m sure your latest is no less so. Fingers crossed!

Charlie

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 08:44:44 PM »
in his letter,pte hunt told mrs heaton that her husband and brother in law were called away on Friday 6th august during the attack on the Turkish trenches and died within minutes of each other

mack

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
Mack,

I note and thank you.   The battalion was in support of a diversionary attack and it would appear that this commenced at 1550 hours on the 6th August 1915.   As operations continued overnight to the 7th August and beyond, it is understandable how confusion as to dates of death occurred.  I await the Commission's reply.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
Telephone calls and further correspondence with the Commission are continuing.   The weather conditions have not helped the situation.   PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2018, 09:31:06 AM »
It now appears that the CWGC require more evidence relating to the death of C.Heaton. e.g. Copy of letter from Pte Carr and D/Certs.  PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »
Philip,
Thank you for the updates, as anticipated it is proving not quite as easy to convince the CWGC this time. Do you intend to pursue the matter further?

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 07:25:29 AM »
Charlie,

Thanks for your interest.   As I consider this is a matter of some importance I am carrying on.  I take it that you would approve. PhilipG.

Offline charlie

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 08:53:51 AM »
Thank you Philip, of course I approve, if I can help in any way please let me know. Perhaps Mack can help with the letter.

Charlie

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 05:48:23 PM »
Charlie,

Thank you. I have ordered Birth Certificates and Certificates of Death relating to the brothers and hope that these will assist the Commission in coming to a decision in the matter.  PhilipG.

Offline PhilipG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 04:00:01 PM »
I have today written to my Member of Parliament regarding the Heaton brothers and their date of death.  PhilipG.