Author Topic: Army Chaplain  (Read 6175 times)

liverpool annie

Army Chaplain
« on: April 28, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »

I am still looking for Father Aiden Jackson of the Gorton Monastery ... who was supposedly taken prisoner at the fall of Singapore ............ I just can't find anything !!  ::)

He did come home ....... after apparently having a shocking time .... ( men of the cloth were not treated well !!  :-\ )

But whatever records the Franciscans have ( if they have any !! ) ... they aren't giving up .... and as I'm not a close relative .........

Any "crumb" of information would be very much appreciated !

I read Cliff's post with interest ... but I'm still in the dark I'm afraid !

Annie  :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:23:05 PM by liverpool annie »

timberman

Re: Army Chaplain
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »
Hi Annie
Redone the link. Dont know if this link is any good ???

MUSEUM OF ARMY CHAPLAINCY
They have a section on Far East POW items,
Also an E mail and phone number

http://www.armymuseums.org.uk/museums/0000000070-Museum-of-Army-Chaplaincy.htm

Neil
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:41:23 PM by timberman »

liverpool annie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 04:18:12 PM »

I'm still at a stand still with this man !  :-\

Does anybody have access to WO 344 aka the “liberation questionnaires” by any chance ?? or would I have to get that from Kew ??

I heard there were 140000 of them done amongst British Dominion and Commonwealth soldiers so not every British POW is there but they give a whole load of information on how the prisoners were treated, etc. ..... some were later used for war crimes trial so is it possible that  Fr Jackson would be mentioned in several reports as well as his own ?? ( that is if he has one of course !!  :-\ )

liverpool annie

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 09:07:53 PM »

Woohoo !!  :)

A little bit of a break through .... One of the guys on Roots went to Kew looking for his own stuff and decided to try for mine  and found this !! ( didn't have time for anymore ..  but this is wonderful !! ) 

( No wonder I couldn't find him .... I've been looking under "A" and I should have been looking under "S" .... I didn't know his Franciscan name was Septimus !! )

26511 Jackson Septimus A capt 108267 A ( for Army ) captured 15/2/42 liberated 2/9/45 Camp MA

STET     Jackson Septimus Aidan 1/930 Captain RAChD Priest ..... crossed out in red !

but next to that is 1/930 ( I think it says) Overland 25/6/43 Ret'd Cha Dec 43

So does this mean he was at Changi ??

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
From "The Story of Changi Singapore" by David Nelson (Who was a POW) ISBN 0 9503243-0-2.  Table 3 (Page 202) "POW Parties Ex Malayan Administration HQMC Java".
5 Parties of 600 each all British left Changi for Bam Pong Thailand on June 18, 20, 22, 24 and 26th.  They were refered to as the June Mainland Party.
My copy came from Changi Museum Singapore.
The book also lists what it refers to as "Index Rolls, Malaya Command" Roll 87 covers Royal Army Chaplains department.
I have yet to read the book in detail but from a quick scan of it I believe that it's details come from records kept by POW's and collected in Changi by a dedicated group of POW's at the end of the war going by the name of "The Bureau of Record and Enquiry" including Col. E.B. Holmes M.C. 1st Bn Manchester Regiment.  These records were passed over to various nations "Authorities".
Cliff

Addition:
I forgot to say that yes he would have been in Changi almost all taken in Singapore were at one time and the fortunate few who survived the "Railway" returned to Changi. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:53:25 PM by rafboy »
Cliff P Son of 3525679 Sgt Arthur Phillips 1st Bn Manchester Regiment and RAPC

liverpool annie

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:40 AM »

Check this out ..... I can't believe what happened .......... I'm sooooo excited ... guess what ?? Spof ( on Roots ) found my Father Jackson's POW card !!

AND I found a site that mentions him by name ...... Padre Jackson !! is that cool or what ??
I only saw him mentioned by name once ... and at one point they said they were without a padre ... so I'm wondering if he was at the hospital at Chiangi .... I hate to think of all the things he could have gone through .... I know chaplains went through some pretty diabolical things ! ( but there again - it seems everybody did ! )

Anyways here's the site ....... with a war diary also

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/armedforces_125th.htm

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »
Great Stuff Annie !!!

They can not hide from you for ever can they  ;D

I'm glad Spof found his PoW card, does it make interesting reading?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

liverpool annie

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 06:45:26 PM »

Hi Wendi !  :)

Well I don't think theres too much on it to be honest .... apart from the unit ... there isn't anything on there thats new info .... but I've sent it to Harribobs in the hopes he can see something !!  ::) ::) ::)

I was so excited yesterday .... I've been looking for him for some time so it was quite emotional ..... you know me ... I get so involved with these guys !!  ::) ::) ::) my goal was to find him before his 100th birthday which is February next year !!  :) now I just need his other stuff .... the liberation questionnaire etc .... but we've made a start !!

Cliff ... I meant to tell you thank you for the information on the book  :) .... I'm ordering it from Amazon !! thanks for the tip !!  :D

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 03:06:29 PM »
Hi Annie

I will be at the NA tomorrow, so I will have a look for his Q/L form

liverpool annie

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 08:50:18 PM »

Roy ! ... thank you very much ... but Spof found it for me .... though I'd appreciate anything you could add !!  :)

From his liberation questionnaire:

Number: 108627   Rank: Captain (chaplain)   Surname: Jackson

Christian Names: Septimus Aidan   Unit: RACD Att 125 Anti Tank Regiment 18th Div

DOB: 13-2-1909       DOE: 14-1-1940

Private Address and Telephone Number: The Friary, London, E7    Gta 3900

Place and Date of Capture: 15-2-1942     Singapore

(A bit of shortening of column names here)

Camps, Detachments            Dates         Camps etc Leader
and Hospitals You Were Held In

Civil General Hospital, Singapore      15/2/42 - 18/2/42   Blank

Fullerton Buildings, Singapore         18/2/42 - 9/3/42   Lt Col Middleton RAMC

Changi, Singapore            9/3/42 - 25/4/42   Lt Gen Percival

River Valley Road, Singapore         25/4/42 - 5/8/42   Lt Col Preston

Changi, Singapore            5/8/42 - 25/4/43   CS1 Holmes

Tamura Pak, Thailand            7/6/43 - 25/9/42   Capt Wood SSVF (or SSuf as in, say, South Suffolk - hard to read.)

Kanchan Buri, Thailand)            25/9/43 - 18/12/43   Blank

Changi, Singapore            22/12/43 - 5/5/45   Lt Col Newey SSVF

Krangi, Singapore            5/5/45 - 15/9/45   Maj Bradshaw RA

There are no other answers to the standard form asking if you'd been involved in any escape attempts, do you know anyone who has, who is in the escape commitee, did you assist ty helping to reduce the enemy's war capacity and did you see anything that may constitute illegal activity.

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
Your welcome Annie.  I still have not had chance to read it people keep giving me books to read.  I have just finished "Singapore Burning" by Colin Smith, £7.00 in Tesco.  It is all about the battle for Malaya and the fall of Singapore from both sides, the Manchesters do get a mention but only briefly.  I thought it was very well written.  It has several photographs in it.
Cliff

liverpool annie

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »

The new one sounds like a good one Cliff !

Another one for my list !!  :) how are the photos ? are they of soldiers or places ?

Offline rafboy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »
There are photos from both sides, some of men and some of places.  I have passed my copy on to a friend so cannot give you details at the moment.
Cliff