Author Topic: casualty list  (Read 4512 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
casualty list
« on: July 15, 2008, 07:18:40 PM »
has anyone got an idea where the casualty list that tony found on E.bay, came from.
it says that it contains age,address etc of 13.700+
its to small+detailed to be from SDGW,and to small to be from the CWGC,plus the CWGC wont send you a print out,of the full roll of manchesters in their care,because the list is too big.
has anyone got an account on E.bay,who could ask the seller for a sample page.

mack

Fritz Bayer

Re: casualty list
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
Name-Rank and Service Number-Place of Burial or Commemoration-Regiment- Gallantry Awards (if they had any)-Date of Death.

Other information about the Casualty may also be available, for example:

How Old They Where When They Died-The Names of Their Parents or Wife-Their home Town or Village.

Looks like CWGC info to me, Mack, even if it's incomplete.

The CWGC used to send out regimental lists if asked for (I got the East Lancs listing from them many moons ago), and ,I may be wrong, but I think they still do for a fee (though they seem to have gone a bit "funny" as regards info sharing these days - apparantly they have to follow MoD guidelines regarding "personal data" even in the cases of the deceased). It was also possible just to obtain certain battalions.

Dave.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:24:27 PM by Fritz Bayer »

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 08:30:44 PM »
thanks dave.
my mate asked them for a list,for a certain regt,but they told him it was too large to print.

mack

Offline Bob.NB

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
I have a hard backed book bought over twenty years ago titled "Casualties  The Manchester Regiment   1914-1918" that has 133 photocopied pages of lists of Manchester Regiment casualties from WWI listed by battalion. Each page has about 100 names and every so often the original pages have the stamp "Manchester Public Libraries" on them. This sounds like one and the same and appears to be a professional copy of a book in the Manchester Central? Library.
I don't use it much now as the internet is much faster.
Bob B