Author Topic: Private Eric Higham a.k.a. Edward Higham, 1st Manchesters, Changi  (Read 16466 times)

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
Re: Private Eric Higham a.k.a. Edward Higham, 1st Manchesters, Changi
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »
Oh Sphinx, you're a gem!!!  I thought something was odd when you gave me the last number.  Didn't know anything about Eric and wondered what he was doing in Preston but, hey, it could have been him.

This sounds as though we have the right one. Thank you so much.  The hunt goes on.

Onwards & Upwards as they say. 

Bless you
isn't he the Cpl eric higham that I posted earlier

mack ;D

Offline manchester48

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 10:11:41 PM »
I've pm'd you mack.  Seems your man could be the one. :)

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:17:57 PM by manchester48 »

Offline sphinx

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 10:46:14 PM »
Oh Sphinx, you're a gem!!!  I thought something was odd when you gave me the last number.  Didn't know anything about Eric and wondered what he was doing in Preston but, hey, it could have been him.

This sounds as though we have the right one. Thank you so much.  The hunt goes on.

Onwards & Upwards as they say. 

Bless you
isn't he the Cpl eric higham that I posted earlier

mack ;D

Sorry Mack,

I hadnt remembered that you had done that.  It seems thats the chap.

regards

Offline manchester48

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 04:12:54 PM »
Hi Mack

Many thanks for your pm.  I have every faith in you guys honestly. You have all worked wonders and amazed me with the info passed on already.  Anything else is a bonus.

I live on the west Yorks border but, after searching the free BMD have found the death of an Edward Higham, Manchester, 1965 with a matching age at death. I ordered this death cert. online last night from the GRO.  Fingers crossed I have the right guy. If not I'll send for the one you mentioned in Stockport. A search for Eric (birth name)brought up nothing.

My Aunty Jean who has since died, told my sister a few years ago that the last time she saw Eric was in Piccadilly, Manchester in the early 1960's. She commented he was looking the worse for wear then.

The certificate will arrive next week so will post an update next week. Have a good weekend.

Regards

Margaret

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 06:30:09 PM »
Here are the Q & L forms the lads were asked to fill out when they where Freed

3529834 Pte O'Hara

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 06:31:09 PM »
Back of form

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 06:34:00 PM »
3529518 Pte E.Higham

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
Findmypast

Have know got must of the PoW collection:

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/prisonersofwar

This unique collection covers the service records of millions of men and women taken captive in times of war. Published in three phases in association with the National Archives, the latest set includes one million people who were prisoners during World War II.

They have records for both lads on the site.

Offline manchester48

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »
Many thanks for these Roy. Much appreciated.

Regards

Margaret

Offline manchester48

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »
Just updating you guys with my progress so far on Eric aka Edward Higham. I'm afraid I still not traced his death yet. The certificate I purchased was really promising until I discovered his burial contained a wife with the wrong forename.

I now have documents proving he was in Changi Prison and Omi, B-13 Base Camp, Tokyo from where he was liberated 6.9. 1945 after 2 years of slavery breaking aggregate for an Electro-chemical company.

There is also a document showing he was in No 2 POW Camp in 1943 - which I presumed was in Thailand but appears it could now be just a subsidiary camp within Changi itself because while 'F' force were on their way to Thailand Eric was being shipped to Japan on the 'Hell ship' KoyokkoMaru (overseas 25.4.1943). On his Japanese Index Card it shows he was in Changi & Omi only.

There has been a good deal of help to gain this documentation and I owe a debt of gratitude especially to Cliff & Roy and others on this forum who have been so generous with their input.

Regards

Margaret

Offline manchester48

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2015, 02:49:08 PM »
UPDATE.

Call it third time lucky.  I now have the correct death certificate for Uncle Eric Higham. He died 11 December 1984 (18 days before his 65th birthday) It has puzzled me why he would die in Stockport. His home address on the certificate was in Beswick, Manchester but he died in St Ann's Hospital, Heald Green, Stockport, Cheshire.  He was cremated. The informant was I presume a member of staff at the Hospice so no details of his family member.

I have sent an email to the hospice asking for whatever info they may have on him after 31 years (or are legally able to disclose) and hope to hear something positive from them.  If not I am at least happy to have found that he died with dignity, care and compassion. God rest his soul. Lest we forget.

I have now successfully traced each and every one of my Mum's 6 brothers and 2 sisters and have been able to tell Mum all about Albert & Eric's time in The Manchesters.

Many thanks to all of you guys for your invaluable input.

Best wishes

Margaret

timberman

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
Thank you Margaret for sharing the updates
glad you got a result.

Timberman

Offline themonsstar

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 10:07:10 AM »
Well Done Margaret
And thank you for the update

Roy

Offline mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 10:38:47 AM »
hiya Margaret.
st.anns was the only hospice in the area for terminally ill people until they opened another in Salford.

ime glad you found eric at last.

best wishes.
mack ;D