Author Topic: 7061 Pte W E Baxter 1st Vol Svc Coy 1900  (Read 4969 times)

zuluzeroalpha

7061 Pte W E Baxter 1st Vol Svc Coy 1900
« on: March 15, 2015, 03:41:28 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am a military history enthusiast and collector from the south of England currently making enquiries on behalf of a friend with regard to a family medal.
The medal is a QSA (2nd type) that has spent the last few decades languishing unloved in a drawer.
I know that the QSA was a widely awarded medal and is considered fairly common but after cleaning the years of accumulated grime from this example I was intrigued to find that is was awarded to a member of a Volunteer Service Coy of the Manchester regiment.
The inscription reads:
7061 PTE W. E. BAXTER VOL COY MANCH REGT
By searching online I have so far gathered that Pte Baxter was a member of the 1st Volunteer service company attached to 1st Bn Manchester Regt, serving in SA for one year from June 1900 having been allocated his service number between 9th February and 10th March 1900 before embarking on the 11th of May that year. (His service number seems to have him originally as a member of the 3rd Vol Bn)
Returning to the medal, its current condition is less than perfect due to the broken swivel and lack of ribbon or any clasps. Its owner was in the first instance inclined to sell it but I am going to try to convince him to keep hold of it due to its significance given the small number of Vols in the Coy. To that end it may be worthy of restoration for display purposes, can anyone tell me please which if any clasps the 1st Vol Coy would have been entitled to? Also were the 1st Vol Service Coy Mounted Infantry?
Further to the above, during my online research so far I have come across a reference to another W. E. Baxter.
This being: 7873 Sgt W. E. Baxter of the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, who it seems, served in the Great War. Sgt Baxter is recorded as having been taken as a POW prior to December 1914 and also it seems that he may have been awarded a D.C.M.
I could be wrong but I’m inclined to think that these two W. E. Baxter’s where the same man.
Once again, any information that might confirm this or otherwise would be much appreciated please.
Please see below for links to the info sourced so far as well as film footage of the 1st Vol Coy returning from SA and images of the medal.

http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6723
http://www.themenbehindthemedals.org.uk/index.asp?page=full&mwsquery=(%7BPerson%20identity%7D=%7BEmmott,%20W%7D)
http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-return-of-the-brave-manchester-volunteers-1901-1901/
http://www.themanchesters.org/9th%20batt.htm

Offline Robert Bonner

• Administrator
Re: 7061 Pte W E Baxter 1st Vol Svc Coy 1900
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.
I can confirm that your Baxter was a member of the 3rd Volunteer Bn from Ashton-under-Lyne and joined the 1st VSC for South Africa. There is a detailed illustrated history of the exploits of the company in Volunteer Infantry of Ashton-under-Lyne copies of which are available through the Manchester Regiment Museum website.

Regarding the possible Loyals DCM connection, perhaps you can trace a home address with an Ashton locality.
Robert

zuluzeroalpha

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
Hi Robert,

Many thanks for your welcome to this great site and also for the info you have supplied. I will certainly look into acquiring the publication you mention.

I'm currently waiting for the owner of the medal to contact me with a view to gaining possible further information that he may be able to gain from his family which may confirm a link to the Loyals connection and will post anything that comes of that.

Regards.

Offline sphinx

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:42:06 PM »
Hello,

Private Baxter was only entitled to one clasp which was the clasp "NATAL".
He would have gained more clasps but was invalided home to England on 17.7.1900.

He was not in the Mounted Infantry.

regards

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »
hiya Zulu
they are not the same men.
your lad was 7061 walter,ernest baxter of 54 Cavendish st,ashton,he worked for his father alexander as a brushmaker,his mother was Louisa baxter

sgt 7873 William,edward baxter,LNL

mack ;D

zuluzeroalpha

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
Thank You Sphinx,

That's two of my questions answered. The fact also that Pte Baxter was invalided home is intriguing, I wonder whether the cause of this was wounds or sickness, interesting either way and it may make it easier to pick him out from the film footage that I linked to, there is one (unarmed) soldier in the film that bears a resemblance to the medal's owner so maybe a good lead.

Robert,

A copy of your book is on its way from the museum and I look forward to what promises to be an interesting read, thank you for the heads up :)

Regards to all

zuluzeroalpha

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 07:56:09 PM »
hiya Zulu
they are not the same men.
your lad was 7061 walter,ernest baxter of 54 Cavendish st,ashton,he worked for his father alexander as a brushmaker,his mother was Louisa baxter

sgt 7873 William,edward baxter,LNL

mack ;D

Hi Mack,

A bit of a shame that they are not the same man but great info all the same. Thank you very much.

Well, it seems that I've had my enquiries well and truly answered and in a very short space of time too. It will be a pleasure to report my findings and I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated. Thanks once again to all and should any further snippets with regard to Pte Baxter come to light I will be more than happy to receive them. If during my wider activities I come across anything further whether in regard to this man or the Manchester Regiment in general I will be sure to post them.

Kindest regards to all   ;D

Online mack

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
sgt 7873 w.e baxter was from 45 Vernon st,farnworth,captured 31-10-14,interned in Holland 15-3-18

mack ;D

zuluzeroalpha

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »
Hello again Gents,

Just an update on this medal. The owner has now decided to offer the medal for sale in the hope of finding it a good home. It is currently listed on EBay UK.

Thanks once again to all for your help with my enquiries.

Kind regards.

Offline sphinx

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
Hello,

I have looked on eBay at this medal.

What a complete mess the medal is now. :(

Who on earth fitted a British War Medal suspender on it and then apparantly tried to attach it with a lump hammer?

It has made a £50 disc worth £30 now!!!

The next owner will have to pay not only for a QSA swivelling supender (£30) and Natal clasp (£30), but for the damage to the disc to be sorted which in labour will be alltogether about £25 for £130 pound medal. 

I would have bought the disc for £50 and restored it correctly, but now at £90 with all that damage, its out of the question.

regards