Author Topic: Derek Howarth, 1st Battalion  (Read 8121 times)

Offline phesketh

Derek Howarth, 1st Battalion
« on: February 15, 2015, 10:39:00 PM »
Hello, I'm hoping some of the Malaya vets on here can provide some information regarding my Grandad, Derek Howarth. I know he was in the 1st Battalion serving in Malaya in the early fifties (national service). I have attached a picture, he is 3rd one in from the right. I believe the chap to his right is Al Thornley? I have another photo of the two of them that my Grandad kindly annotated; it is also marked 'Boston Photo Studio, Penang'.
I'm very interested to know what it was like out there, and whether any of you served with him.

Thanks,

Phil

Offline george.theshed197

• Global Moderator
Re: Derek Howarth, 1st Battalion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
Good morning Phil and welcome to the Forum. Your photograph is currently being checked by myself who at that time was a Cpl in B Coy stationed at that time in Kroh in upper Kedah close to the Thai border.

It is many years ago and memories cloud the mind as to these people then (1950) and my memory of them as I can visualise them so bear with me. Very early in this section I was very active in this section and supplied many photos of B Company of those days (under Borneo Head- Hunters) could, I ask you to look at many of those shots and in fact the many exchanges of us chatting about those days; meanwhile I will be doing something similar and also checking with " The Bible" that is "Jungle Bashers "- the book written by Capt Banner regarding those times.

Will get back to you later.
George.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:56:42 AM by george.theshed197 »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
Phil.
I have looked very carefully at the photograph but. at the moment the only one to come to mind is the  very first lad on the direct left - to me that looks like a very "young" Pte. Atherton of my platoon, no. 6, at Kroh circa  1951 many  of the others do look familiar BUT I cannot put names to them.
I have also checked "Jangle Bashers" but cannot find any mention of a pte Norman Howarth BUT again that does'nt mean anything, During our three year stint most NS men would have only spent only about 14 or 15 months with us before going home again  and were not necessary named in the book. no disrespect intended
Do you have any idea to which company he may have been with ?
The only time the Battalion was completely together was when we were back in Penang, Minden Barracks, Georgetown from roughly August/Sept/October on Re-training and then we were split up into Company locations widely separated miles apart  firstly at Tapah and later again Pahang and Province Wellesley.
Should anything else come to mind I will  come back to you.
Take care,
George

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
I have even rechecked my listings of MVA vets  but I can only  find - a G. Howarth living at 30, Arbury Avenue, and an F. Howarth, of 20, Rookway. .

If either of those ring a bell for you I will send you a PM.
George.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 02:26:56 PM by george.theshed197 »

Offline phesketh

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:43 PM »
Hi George, thank you for the replies.  I will have a closer look at the Borneo head hunters thread, see if I can pick anything out. I have been scouring the Internet for a copy of jungle bashers but it is proving to be very elusive. I live in Dorset and none of the libraries round here have a copy, nearest is Bristol. Think I will pop over to the Museum next time I'm in Manchester though.
It is definitely the one from 30 Arbory Avenue, wonder why his initial is G rather than D?

Thanks again,

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
Good job I remembered my old address book!!!Well at least now that I am living down near Portsmouth rather than Manchester its a bit closer ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline phesketh

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 08:01:28 PM »

Good job indeed, thanks.
Ah right, I'm in Christchurch, just on the other side of the New Forest. Would be great to get a look at that book and have a chat if I'm in the area at some point, sometimes travel to the naval base for work.

Thanks,

Phil

Offline Wendi

• Administrator
  • Peeking into the past
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12:35 PM »
Hi Phil

Not at all to discourage a meet between you abdominal George,  but just to let you know that the UK has a Library  request  service, by which you can locate a book in another library and they will transfer it to your local library for you to borrow.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

Offline phesketh

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »
Hi Wendi, thanks, I'll have a look at that  :)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:45 AM »
No problems whatsoever Phil,

Will send you a PM letting you know my address and how to contact me via normal E-mai.
Nice to know that I am still useful in response of the "small Wars"   ;D ;D ;D
George.